Maria Sharapova had no complaints about her schedule after finishing off Eugenie Bouchard 6-2 6-4 to reach the third round of the French Open.

The defending champion drew the short straw weather wise yesterday, not starting her match until late because of the poor weather and then being unable to finish.

Bouchard and a reluctant Sharapova left Court Philippe Chatrier at 9pm last night with the rain falling steadily and the Russian only two games away from victory.

Canadian Bouchard is one of the game's up-and-coming talents and won Junior Wimbledon last year.

The 19-year-old was certainly not afraid to take on her illustrious opponent and should have levelled at 5-5 but missed a golden opportunity for a forehand winner and that was that as Sharapova wrapped up a 6-2 6-4 victory.

The Russian will play her third-round match tomorrow against China's Zheng Jie, who has had an extra day to prepare having beaten Melanie Oudin first up yesterday.

And Serena Williams coasted through to the fourth round as she swatted aside the challenge of Romanian Sorana Cirstea 6-0 6-2.

The world number one is bidding to win only her second singles title at Roland Garros, 11 years after her first.

The red clay may not be her favourite surface but it was hard to detect a weakness today.

Cirstea got to the quarter-finals four years ago, her best result in a grand slam, but the world number 30 had little answer to Williams as the 31-year-old American swept to victory in just over an hour on court.

Marion Bartoli did not even make it on to court yesterday, and the Frenchwoman was given another tough match by Colombian qualifier Mariana Duque-Marino.

The 13th seed saved two match points in a first-round win over Olga Govortsova three days ago and had to fight back from 5-2 down in the first set today to win 7-6 (7/5) 7-5.

Twelfth seed Maria Kirilenko also made it through to the third round with a 6-3 6-1 victory over young Australian hope Ashleigh Barty.

Second seed Sharapova said: "It was a pretty long day yesterday. I left here pretty late and then had an early morning. But we all know what to expect.

"We all knew the weather wasn't going to be really good yesterday. I was happy to play part of the match and obviously get myself in a good position to come out today and finish the match.

"Obviously it's very important to keep yourself going and to start really well when you get back on the court, because the momentum can sometimes change in different directions.

"But overall I was just happy that I finished the match and on to the next round."