World number one Gustavo Kuerten will almost certainly not play at Wimbledon later this month, he said on Friday. The Brazilian, who reached the third round last year, plans to rest, he said after reaching the French Open final.
"I have played so much tennis to get to this stage... last year I played at Wimbledon and got sick... it was not so good an experience," he said after beating Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-4 6-4 6-3 in the French semi-finals. "Maybe this year I will have a little break that I didn't have (last year)."
When asked if he had made a firm decision to miss the grasscourt Grand Slam event, Kuerten said: "Yes. I think it is almost sure. I definitely need the break... some time to talk with my doctors, see how I am. I think to rest for only three or four days and to start to practice on grass to play in Wimbledon would be too much for me."
Kuerten's plans to rest remove him from the row surrounding the seeding system at Wimbledon. He had earlier said he would support any boycott of the tournament organised in protest at the seeding.
Wimbledon, threatened with a revolt by top players, scrapped the committee it uses to decide seeds for the men's singles in April. The grass court tournament will not, however, adhere strictly to ATP rankings when deciding seeds and is still seeking a compromise to head off a possible boycott by claycourt specialists.
The tournament has resisted players' demands to stick to the ATP Tour's 12-month rankings when determining seeds. Ferrero earlier said he would not play at Wimbledon unless the seeding system was changed.
"I've always had a positive intention to play Wimbledon," the Spaniard said at Roland Garros. "At the start of the season it was one of tournaments I marked with a little cross, but I've already said that if they don't put the seedings where they should be I won't play."
Filed by Sinéad Kissane