Aaron Connolly scored twice on his 23rd birthday to help end Hull's near four-month wait for a home win in the 3-0 victory against QPR.

Connolly, on loan from Brighton until the end of the season, played a significant role in his side's first win at the MKM Stadium since beating Wigan on 5 October.

The Republic of Ireland international opened the scoring after 10 minutes before adding a second with a cute finish in the 65th minute.

QPR were already 2-0 down by then after Rob Dickie deflected Ozan Tufan's right-sided cross into his own net three minutes before Connolly had doubled his tally.

The visitors were poor throughout as their winless run in all competitions extended to seven matches.

Hull flew out of the traps and deservedly charged into an early lead.

Connolly, who went close minutes earlier with an opportunistic hit that screwed wide of the right post, will be indebted to the work of Republic of Ireland international Cyrus Christie in the build-up his first goal.

Christie battered his way into the 18-yard box before squaring the ball towards the penalty spot from the right. Connolly had work to do, but he made things look very simple with a deft, looping finish over Seny Dieng.

The unfortunate Dickie could do little other than deflect Tufan's zipped cross into the back of his own net and with QPR devoid of ideas and structure, Connolly ably put the game to bed with a tidy finish off Jean Michael Seri's long ball through the middle.

The game was over as a contest from there on in, with Connolly utterly deserving of a standing ovation when he was substituted late on in what was a surprisingly one-sided match.

Middlesbrough leapfrogged Watford to move into third position as they claimed a comfortable 2-0 win over the Hornets at the Riverside.

First-half goals from Chuba Akpom and Marcus Forss enabled Boro to bounce back in impressive fashion following last weekend's North East derby defeat by Sunderland.

Michael Carrick's side were dominant throughout, with January signing Cameron Archer impressing as he made his first start for the club.

Having been left one-on-one with an exposed Hassane Kamara, Archer broke into the 18-yard box, only for a heavy touch to enable Bachmann to break off his line to block the England under-21 international's shot.

Bachmann was at it again when he blocked Akpom's initial follow-up effort, but the ball looped up invitingly for the Championship's leading scorer to head home his 14th league goal of the campaign.

The goal was no more than Boro deserved given their first-half dominance and the Teessiders added a second on the stroke of half-time.

Jonny Howson picked out Forss with a perfectly weighted through ball and, after darting across the face of the area, the Finnish forward slotted a clinical strike into the bottom right-hand corner.

Former Huddersfield loanee Kasey Palmer scored against his old side as Coventry ran out 2-0 winners at the CBS Arena.

Coventry City's Kasey Palmer (left) and Huddersfield Town's Tom Lees (centre) battle for the ball

The ex-Chelsea academy product spent 18 months on loan in West Yorkshire, making 28 league appearances for the Terriers and scoring four times.

Gustavo Hamer was also on the scoresheet for Mark Robins' side, who ended a run of five games without victory in the Championship dating back to before Christmas.

There was an added bonus of a clean sheet for the Sky Blues after conceding four goals in each of their last two home outings.

A lacklustre Huddersfield side, sporting the worst away record in the Championship, seldom threatened the Coventry goal and remained in the relegation zone, three points from safety.

Hamer opened the scoring in the 53rd minute, after an uninspiring first half, when he cut inside from the left after a neat one-two with Viktor Gyokeres and unleashed a rasping drive which found the far corner.

Coventry had picked up just one victory since returning from the World Cup break and Swedish star Gyokeres also set up the second, crossing for Palmer to nod home from close range after persistent work on the left in the 71st minute.

The welcome victory also marked the first league win for Coventry over the Terriers since 1972.