Frank Lampard suffered an embarrassing Carabao Cup exit as his Everton side were thrashed 4-1 by Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

The Toffees were made to pay for a number of defensive mistakes as Bournemouth ended their run of four successive Premier League defeats to ease into round four.

Jamal Lowe, Junior Stanislas, Emiliano Marcondes and Jaidon Anthony were on target for the hosts, with Demarai Gray replying.

Lampard made 11 changes following the Premier League defeat at home to Leicester, while Mark Travers and Chris Mepham were the only survivors from Bournemouth 4-3 loss at Leeds.

Lowe took just seven minutes to fire the hosts in front as his shot deflected off James Garner and looped over the stranded Asmir Begovic.

Republic of Ireland keeper Travers made a smart save in the 14th minute to tip behind Garner's vicious strike.

Mason Holgate gifted the Cherries the chance to double their lead two minutes into the second half. He was robbed by Ryan Christie after slipping on the edge of the penalty area and Christie then set up Lowe to fire the ball across the six-yard box for Stanislas to tap home at the far post.

Gray got Everton back in the game in the 67th minute when he curled into the top left corner from just inside the penalty area to reduce the deficit. Bournemouth had squandered two-goal leads to lose each of their last two Premier League games and there was anxiety among the home fans.

However, the nerves were eased when Emiliano Marcondes tapped in from close range in the 78th minute after Begovic could only push Anthony’s initial shot into his path.

And it was game over four minutes later as Bournemouth cashed in on more terrible Everton defending to score their fourth. Nathan Patterson was caught in possession by Siriki Dembele and the ball eventually came for Anthony to slot into the bottom corner from 12 yards.

Warren O'Hora's goal set MK Dons on their way

Charlton goalkeeper Joe Wollacott was the hero as the visitors beat Stevenage 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

The League One side advanced to the fourth round, with Scott Fraser converting the winning penalty after Jake Taylor saw his effort saved by the Ghanaian.

Boro's Luke Norris had scored from the spot in the first half and it looked to be decisive until Chuks Aneke fired home in the 87th minute.

Stevenage were gifted the opener in the 22nd minute when Charlton defender Richard Chin inadvertently handled in the area and Norris coolly converted the resulting penalty.

Ivan Toney's final audition for a World Cup place could hardly have been more authentic after Brentford crashed out 6-5 on penalties to Gillingham.

Brentford were leading the League Two strugglers through England hopeful Toney’s early goal, but then sat back and allowed their opponents to come at them in the second half.

The Gills duly hauled themselves back into the match when Mikael Mandron’s late header secured a 1-1 draw.

Toney did at least have the chance to showcase his nerveless penalty technique in the shoot-out one last time before Gareth Southgate names his squad by tucking in his side’s first.

But after 11 successful spot-kicks Mikkel Damsgaard crashed his against the crossbar to give Gillingham an unlikely win and a place in round four.

MK Dons moved into the fourth round by comfortably seeing off fellow League One strugglers Morecambe 2-0 at Stadium MK.

Goals from former Bohemians defender Warren O'Hora and Matthew Dennis were enough for the Dons to progress in a second cup competition in four days, as the Shrimps offered next to nothing in reply.

Darragh Burns, who signed from St Patrick's Athletic in the summer, played over an hour for the Milton Keynes side, while former Ireland U21 Conor Grant played the full game.

Paudie O'Connor was on the scoresheet for Lincoln at Ashton Gate

Lincoln bounced back from FA Cup embarrassment to storm into the fourth round of the Carabao Cup with a 3-1 victory over Championship club Bristol City at Ashton Gate.

The League One side took a seventh-minute lead when midfielder Matty Virtue was allowed time and space 25 yards out to the left of goal and netted with a sweetly struck right-footed drive.

It was 2-0 on 15 minutes as Ben House robbed young defender Joe Low, making his first start for the Robins, and ran through to slot home from inside the box.

Four minutes into the second half Lincoln were in dreamland as Limerick native Paudie O'Connor headed the third from virtually on the goal line after a free-kick was not dealt with.

Substitute Tommy Conway shot home from close range on 80 minutes after his initial effort had been saved to give the home side hope.

But Lincoln, dumped out of the FA Cup by non-League Chippenham at the weekend, were in no mood to surrender their advantage and defended their box strongly to clinch a memorable win.

Ireland U21 international Sean Roughan played the full game for The Imps.

Two late goals from substitute Anass Zaroury broke Crawley's stubborn resistance and gave Burnley a hard-earned 3-1 win to reach the fourth round.

The third round tie at Turf Moor looked as if it might have to be settled by a shoot-out as the Clarets spurned chance after chance to kill off the League Two side, who had taken the scalps of League One Bristol Rovers and Premier League Fulham to earn the trip to Turf Moor.

But Zaroury, who had been sent on as a 56th-minute substitute, eased their growing frustrations when he tapped the ball home from a couple of yards out in the 79th minute after Ashley Barnes had touched on Manuel Benson’s low cross. And he added his second with a similar close-range finish in the 90th minute from fellow sub Vitinho’s cross.

Zaroury had replaced former Galway forward Dara Costelloe, while former Drogheda United and St Patrick's Athletic defender Luke McNally played the full game.

Fianlly, Leicester saw off League Two opponents Newport 3-0 via a Jamie Vardy brace, with James Justin opening the scoring on 44 minutes.

But it was not all good news for the Foxes after World Cup hopeful Justin went down after a second-half challenge and needed to be carried from the pitch on a stretcher at King Power Stadium.