The FAI says it will meet with the Dublin branch of the Irish Soccer Referees Society (ISRS) following their decision to go on strike later this month.

On Thursday night, the 175 members of the Dublin branch voted unanimously to withdraw services between 18 November and 4 December after dissatisfaction over recent disciplinary matters involving alleged assault and attempted assault on referees.

"The Football Association of Ireland acknowledges and understands the decision taken by the Dublin branch of the Irish Soccer Referees' Society (ISRS) to strike from November 18th," a statement read.

"The FAI has recently discussed the specific matters raised by the Dublin branch with the national representative of the ISRS will now meet with the Dublin branch without delay to discuss their issues, in an effort to resolve this matter ahead of the planned strike.

"The Association again reiterates that all referees must be treated with respect and reminds players, coaches, officials and supporters of their responsibilities in this regard."

This is the first time that football across Dublin would shut down as a protest by referees, as last year such a move was only taken by the North Dublin Schoolboy/girl League, leading to the cancellation of 500 games in a week, in response to incidents of touchline abuse for match officials.

The Dublin branch of the ISRS are frustrated by what they feel have been lenient disciplinary results for serious assaults on match officials.

A game between two Dublin clubs in the Leinster Senior League saw the referee's report claim he had been assaulted by a player, with a headbutt, an act which can carry a 36-month suspension, but the player only received a six-game ban after video evidence was deemed to be inconclusive.

Last month it was announced that a trial allowing referees to wear body cameras in adult grassroots football in England is now expected to start in the first half of next year.

The purpose of the trial is to act as a deterrent against physical and verbal abuse towards officials, which has become a cause for concern in the grassroots game.

Last week, a referee in Lancashire was assaulted, with local media reporting the official had been left with a broken nose, four broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder, a broken collarbone, concussion and whiplash.