Shelbourne closed the gap on Wexford Youths at the top of the Women's National League after a badly needed 2-1 victory over Cork City at Tolka Park.

It was a long afternoon for the reigning champions, who had suffered back-to-back defeats in the league against Peamount United and Athlone Town, the score deadlocked at 1-1 until the closing minutes when Megan Smith-Lynch unfurled a magnificent long range strike to win it for the hosts.

Cork's Becky Cassin endured a mixed first half, putting the visitors ahead from the penalty spot on 24 minutes, before being collared for a messy own goal on the stroke of half-time.

It remained at 1-1 until the 87th minute, when Smith-Lynch launched a strike from distance, dipping under the crossbar to give Noel King's side a crucial win.

It was a timely win in the battle for the title as it cut the gap at the top of the table down to one point after Wexford lost 2-1 at Athlone Town.

Aoibheann Clancy had given the leaders the perfect start with an eighth minute goal but Kellie Brennan equalised for Athlone midway through the first half.

And eight minutes from the time, the midlanders continued their superb season by netting the winner via Gillian Keenan.

The result leaves Athlone fourth but level on points with third-placed Peamount United with both teams very much in the title conversation, three points adrift of the summit.

Stephanie Roche scored Peamount's winner against Bohemians as they edged to a vital 1-0 win.

Elsewhere, DLR Waves got past Galway WFC in the mid-table clash at Eamonn Deacy Park, a beautifully composed finish from Avril Brierley sealing the 3-2 win for the visitors late on.

There was a glut of goals early, Ellerose Flaherty putting the westerners in front before two quickfire goals from Shauna Carroll and Katie Malone turned the tables by the 15th minute.

Jamie Erickson brought Galway back on terms early in the second half before Brierley decided it, gliding around the keeper to dink home the winner on the 84th minute.

It was no surprise to see Sligo dominating in the early stages and they might have taken the lead after just three minutes when Paula McGrory somehow headed over from under the Treaty crossbar.

But six minutes later Cara Griffin put the Limerick side ahead with a stunning finish from wide on the right having been played through by Kaiesha Tobin.Sligo ramped up the pressure on Treaty as the half progressed, and Fiona Doherty passed up a great chance to equalise on 35 minutes, shooting wide of the target when well placed.

Gemma McGuinness then shot straight at Fennelly following good work by Doherty. But Treaty held their lead at the break.Sligo started the second half on the front foot.

McGuinness flashed a shot narrowly wide on 51 minutes, and on the hour Amy Boyle-Carr scooped the ball wide having done well to create space for the shot. But for all that Griffin might have sealed it for Treaty, missing a golden opportunity for the visitors with 20 minutes left.

They would live to regret that miss when, with just six minutes remaining, Leah Kelly floated a free into the Treaty box. Paula McGrory met it with a header and although Trish Fennelly saved it, she allowed the ball to spill and substitute Lauren McLellan slammed home the rebound.

And so it ended, with Sligo perhaps deserving of the draw, but Treaty nonetheless heartbroken having been denied their first win of the season.