Manchester United are closing in on the big-money signing of Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, it is understood.

Erik ten Hag's side have been looking to reinforce their midfield all summer and a deal worth an initial €60m is close for the Brazil international.

The fee for Casemiro could rise to €70m if clauses are met, with a four-year deal plus the option of a further season on the table.

Talk of a medical on Friday appears premature, which means he would not be registered in time for Monday’s clash with rivals Liverpool.

United sit bottom of the Premier League after their 2-1 home defeat to Brighton was compounded by last weekend’s 4-0 humbling at Brentford.

The Old Trafford giants have been working frantically to bolster Ten Hag’s squad, having so far only managed to bring in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez.

Casemiro – a former team-mate of Cristiano Ronaldo and Raphael Varane in Spain – is a five-time Champions League winner with Madrid, who he joined from Sao Paulo in his homeland in 2013.

More irons are in the fire as United look to kickstart their ailing campaign at a time of intense pressure on the Glazer family.

Protests are planned against the owners before and during the game against Liverpool and Ineos owner Jim Ratcliffe has publicly declared his interest in buying the club.

Wolves midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White is set to join Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest have agreed a fee of £25m (€29.5m), which could rise to over £40m (€47m) with add-ons, for Wolves midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, it has been reported.

Gibbs-White, 22, who spent the first half of the 2020/21 season under Forest boss Steve Cooper while on loan at Swansea, is set to become the East Midlands club's 16th summer signing.

Cooper refused to discuss individual players or specific details when asked about further incomings on Thursday at the City Ground, but did confirm more new arrivals were expected.

It has been reported that Gibbs-White will undergo a medical within the next 24 hours.

Cooper said: "Yes, I definitely think there will be some more ins and outs. I don't know who, or how many, which is obviously the next question.

"But there's still the best part of a couple of weeks to go [before the transfer window closes] and a lot can still happen."

Forest, who play their third Premier League game following promotion at Everton on Saturday, drafted in three more new players last weekend.

They paid £20m (€23.6m) for Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis and signed Cheikhou Kouyate and Switzerland midfielder Remo Freuler on free transfers from Crystal Palace and Atalanta respectively.

Earlier new signings after the club had returned to the top flight for the first time in 23 years include Jesse Lingard, Dean Henderson and £17m striker Taiwo Awoniyi.

When asked if he knew what areas of his team he still wanted to strengthen, Cooper said: "Yes, but if I get into that it's just going to add to speculation.

"There are certainly some areas we still want to strengthen in all the lines throughout the pitch.

"But it's getting the right player and the right character that fits into our way of working, but that's what we're committed to doing.

"If you like we're down the line with a few things and hopefully we can finish the process off of getting them through the door.

"And also, naturally there's going to be some player who will leave as well, which is not too much of a negative situation.

"Some guys need to leave to further their careers, whether it's on loan and they come back, or move on a permanent basis."

Cooper confirmed he had no new injury problems following last week's 1-0 home win against West Ham and that Ryan Yates and Steve Cook had both returned to training, while Jack Colback had not recovered from illness.

In terms of incomings at Wolves, they have completed the signing of highly-rated Portugal international Matheus Nunes from Sporting CP for a club record fee.

The 23-year-old dynamic midfielder, who was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, has penned a five-year deal at Molineux, with a one-year option, bringing an end to his successful stint in Lisbon.

He had been linked with both Liverpool and Chelsea before signing with Wolves.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers expects Wesley Fofana to still be at the club after the transfer window shuts.

The defender has been the subject of two bids from Chelsea but both were rejected and nothing fresh has arrived in the last 10 days.

Chelsea have been linked with Wesley Fofana

Rodgers has insisted all along that Fofana is not for sale and does not expect to lose him in the next fortnight.

"I don't think so far ahead, the idea is that is he is a Leicester City player," he said.

"He is not for sale, the club have made that clear, unless anything changes on that I would expect him to be here.

"Currently at this moment there is nothing new and nothing has changed from when we last spoke."

There were reports that the 21-year-old had asked Leicester to accept a lower fee while Rodgers has denied the player handed in a transfer request.

Asked to clear up the speculation, the boss added: "Yes, I can, he hasn't. He's a great kid. He's loved by his team-mates.

"He's a great personality. He's still developing. He's nowhere near the finished article.

"We've spoken numbers of times about the whole situation and of course a private conversation. Our communication is normal, and we just continue to prepare for the games.

"It's a challenge for any player and for clubs around this time when the window is open, and there's lots of speculation and lots of noise that goes on with it, and especially for a young player - 21 - all the speculation that has surrounded it.

"That's why we're here, to help and educate him in dealing with all these rumours. The focus is very much on the team and getting them ready for the weekend [v Southampton]."

Rodgers also says the club have opened talks with James Maddison over a new contract.

The 25-year-old playmaker has two years left on his current deal but has attracted interest this summer from Newcastle, who failed to prise him away in a €40m bid.

Asked whether there had been dialogue between the two parties, Rodgers said: "I believe so, I believe they've spoken. Yeah, Jon (Rudkin, director of football) has spoken to them a number of times, yes.

"I'm pretty sure the club would want to do that (tie him down). Both sides have to be able to find an agreement.

"With James, with two years left, naturally the club would want to protect the asset. But it works both ways.

"Sometimes, everything goes onto the club. If a player, I'm not saying James, doesn't want to sign it, then it can be a stalemate.

"But absolutely, he's an outstanding player and of course, Leicester City would benefit from keeping him longer."