On a significant night in the League Of Ireland First Division title race, Cork City moved four points clear at the top of the table following a captivating Munster Derby clash against Waterford at Turners Cross.

In what was an electric start to proceedings, City showcased their intent early on.

Barry Coffey went close through a strike in the box which was saved impressively by Paul Martin in the Waterford goal while moments earlier, Ruairi Keating got a low shot away which was saved comfortably.

Waterford were reduced to 10 men with just eight minutes played on the clock, when Richard Taylor was shown a straight red for pulling down Cian Murphy on the edge of the box.

Cork threatened again just past the quarter-of-an-hour mark as after a header by Keating into his path, Murphy raced through but he blasted over the crossbar.

Waterford showed the attacking danger that they most certainly possess on 25 minutes. After a good driving run, Roland Idowu unleashed a strike around the edge of the box which was saved well by City goalkeeper David Harrington.

As the game went past the half-hour mark, City went close through a free-kick by Kevin O'Connor which went just wide.

City had another opportunity as Matt Healy unleashed another piledriver in first-half stoppage time which went straight into the hands of Martin.

The sides went in at the break with this contest still finely poised.

Waterford had an early second-half opportunity, but Wassim Aouachria headed over from a corner kick.

City then went close in the 55th minute when Cian Bargary curled an effort just wide from the edge of the penalty area.

The home side went even closer a few minutes later when Keating was unable to finish from a few yards out from a Bargary cross, while Coffey also fired over the bar from close range.

Former Waterford attacker Louis Britton was provided with a golden chance to give Cork the lead on 85 minutes, but he blazed over the crossbar from a great position inside the box.

City looked to secure a grandstand finish and Healy fired just wide in second-half stoppage time.

Although they had to be content with a point, City still remain in control of their own destiny as they search to secure automatic promotion back to the Premier Division.

Cork City: David Harrington; Josh Honohan, Cian Coleman, Kevin O'Connor; Darragh Crowley, Aaron Bolger, Matt Healy, Barry Coffey (Louis Britton, 72) , Cian Bargary(James Doona, 66); Ruairi Keating, Cian Murphy( Dylan McGlade, 81).

Waterford: Paul Martin; Darragh Power , Richard Taylor, Killian Cantwell, Tunmise Sobowale; Niall O’Keeffe; Phoenix Patterson, Roland Idowu, Shane Griffin(Yassim En-Neyah, 41) , Junior Quitirna(Dean Larkin, 11 ); Wassim Aouachria.

Referee: Oliver Moran.

Listen to the RTÉ Soccer podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.