Cristian Magerusan was the Longford Town hero as his second-half brace saw his side claim a deserved win over title challengers Galway United.

Both sides made changes from their previous games.

Town had Sam Verdon and Dean McMenamy suspended, while Ben Lynch dropped to the bench. Mick McDonnell, Matthew O’Brien and Karl Chambers all came in.

For Galway, Stephen Walsh dropped to the bench, and Ronan Manning was injured. Gary Boylan and Ed McCarthy came in for John Caulfield’s side.

Magerusan was a thorn in Galway’s side all night. He brought a save out of Conor Kearns in the fourth minute and seconds later he hit the crossbar with a header.

In the 14th minute, a cross by Karl Chambers was headed over by Ryan Graydon.

Minutes later, Galway had their first effort on goal; Conor McCormack with a long-range strike that was tipped over the bar by Town keeper Luke Dennison.

Wilson Waweru then got into a good position but he dragged his shot wide.

In the 23rd minute, Kearns brought off an excellent save to deny Aaron Robinson. The home side continued to cause problems for the Galway defence.

Michael Barker got onto the end of a Dylan Barnett corner in the 26th minute, but his effort hit Alex Murphy and he cleared.

Three minutes later, Mageruson really should’ve done better with his effort.

Murphy played an excellent ball into Ed McCarthy in the 33rd minute but he brought a good save out of Dennison.

Just before the break, the visitors piled on pressure. Diego Portilla had an effort that was blocked by the Town defence, there was a bit of a scramble but they created nothing to trouble Dennison.

The opening exchanges of the second half were quite even.

The deadlock was eventually broken just after the hour mark when Mick McDonnell knocked the ball down to Magerusan, and he shot to the net from close range.

Galway just couldn’t find a response to that goal. They emptied their bench but the players that were introduced failed to make an impression.

Town had calls for a penalty waved away in the 74th minute when Diego Portilla appeared to haul down Chambers in the box.

In the 82nd minute, Town doubled their advantage when Magerusan powerfully headed home a Barnet corner.

Galway's defeat was all the more costly as league leaders Cork City and third-placed Waterford FC both recorded resounding victories.

Kevin O'Connor, Matthew Srbely, Ruairi Keating, Aaron Bolger and Darragh Crowley all found the back of the net as Cork City thumped Treaty United 5-0 at Markets Field.

A goal from Louis Britton and subsequent braces from Phoenix Patterson and Roland Idowu helped Waterford FC to a 5-2 win over Athlone Town in the midlands, while Bray Wanderers and Wexford FC played out a 2-2 draw at the Carlisle Grounds.