Cork City cemented their place at the top of the SSE Airtricity First Division and added to some pressure on Waterford boss Ian Morris with a 2-1 Munster derby success at the RSC.

City defender Ally Gilchrist's scored just four minutes after Pheonix Patterson’s second half equaliser in front of a large crowd in the south-east.

Colin Healy’s side had led at the break after a brilliant volley from Matt Healy 20 yards out.

Patterson produced an even better strike from 25 yards on 59 minutes before Gilchrist's header from a set-piece.

Cian Kavanagh went close to an equaliser in the final minute for the home side but Cian Coleman’s late block

The result makes it four defeats in the last six for Waterford as they trail their provincial rivals by nine points in the race for automatic promotion.

Longford Town netted in the 93rd minute to secure a 2-1 win over Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds.

It was a sweet return for manager Gary Cronin against his former club as Darren Craven scored in the third minute of added-time with a breakaway goal from a Wanderers corner-kick.

All three goals came in the second half as Michael Barker put Town ahead on 54 minutes before Rob Manley scored against the side he represented last campaign.

However, Craven struck to ensure Longford made it 16 points from a possible 18 as they consolidated their position as a challenger to Cork City.

Cobh Ramblers edged out Athlone Town in the clash between the league's bottom two sides at St Colman's Park.

Three goals were struck in four minutes of action, albeit separated by the half-time whistle. Beineon O'Brien Whitmarsh put the hosts ahead on the stroke of half-time, Glen McAuley responding immediately for the visitors on the restart. They weren't level for long, O'Brien Whitmarsh restoring Cobh's advantage from the penalty spot two minutes later.

Conor Drinan gave Cobh breathing space, making it 3-1 after industrious work from Daragh O'Sullivan Connell.

Harlain Mbayo was red-carded for a late handball in the box, Stephen Kenny converting for Athlone to make it a nervy finish but Cobh held out. The midlanders remain bottom and without a win this season.

In Monday's other game, Treaty United defeated Wexford FC 2-1, with Stephen Christopher grabbing the winner for the Limerick side in the 90th minute.