Goals in either half from Daniel Kelly and Patrick Hoban saw Dundalk record their second win of the season against UCD at Oriel Park.

Stephen O'Donnell’s side were dominant from the off as they deservedly bounced back from their first defeat of the season away to neighbours Drogheda Utd before the break.

Indeed, the result could have been more impressive but for the fact they were denied by the woodwork twice and a number of fine saves from UCD keeper Lorcan Healy.

The Students rarely threatened but did have half chances after both goals to bring themselves back into the game.

The result means Andy Myler’s side are still awaiting their first point on the road this season having drawn their three home matches to date.

For Dundalk, it's a morale boosting return to winning ways ahead of next week's match away to St Patrick’s Athletic where O’Donnell will be making his first return to Richmond Park since his controversial exit after guiding them to FAI Cup success last November.

It was one-way traffic from the off with Hoban sending an early header tamely into the arms of Healy after just two minutes.

Steven Bradley then had two chances to break the deadlock in quick succession - volleying over from inside the box before heading against the crossbar from Hoban’s cross on six minutes.

Robbie Benson then dragged a shot wide two minutes later before the breakthrough finally arrived on 16 minutes.

Mark Connolly’s fizzed pass into Hoban was flicked around the corner by the striker with Kelly racing onto it to round Healy and slot home his 20th goal for the club.

The Students almost responded with their first attempt on target four minutes later when Eric Yoro’s long ball forward played Colm Whelan in behind Andy Boyle but the Republic of Ireland U21 international could only fire straight at Nathan Shepperd.

Bradley would have another attempt soon after which was tamely headed into the arms of Healy before Benson curled a shot just wide of the post on the half hour mark.

The former UCD midfielder was then denied by the woodwork on 37 minutes when he raced onto Hoban’s teasing cross from the right only to see his header come back off the inside of the post.

The second did arrive just two minutes after the restart with full back Lewis Macari sending in a superb cross from the right which Hoban met first-time to slot past Healy with his left-foot.

UCD did threaten to pull one back on 57 minutes when Dylan Duffy curled a free kick around the wall but Shepperd was equal to it with a diving save to his left.

His opposite number Healy then made two saves in quick succession on 72 minutes to deny firstly Kelly and then Bradley with his feet.

Dundalk: Nathan Shepperd; Lewis Macari, Mark Connolly, Andy Boyle, Darragh Leahy; Greg Sloggett, Paul Doyle (Dan Williams 74), Robbie Benson; Steven Bradley (Keith Ward 84), Patrick Hoban (David McMillan 87), Daniel Kelly (Joe Adams 74)

UCD: Lorcan Healy; Alex Dunne, Eric Yoro, Sam Todd, Evan Osam (John Ryan 73); Jack Keaney (Adam Verdon 59); Liam Kerrigan (Adam Lennon 73), Sean Brennan (Donal Higgins 58), Evan Caffrey, Dylan Duffy; Colm Whelan (Alex Nolan 73)

Referee: Gavin Colfer (Wicklow)