Rangers dropped points in the cinch Premiership for the first time under Giovanni Van Bronckhorst after Aberdeen fought back to earn a 1-1 draw at Pittodrie.

It was the Dons who had snatched a share of the spoils at Ibrox back in October and they repeated the trick in this meeting after Lewis Ferguson scored from the penalty spot with 17 minutes left.

A 20th-minute tap-in from Ianis Hagi had put the current champions on course for an eighth straight league win under Steven Gerrard's successor.

Stephen Glass’ side had other ideas and when Alfredo Morelos handled inside the area, it provided Ferguson with the opportunity to level and he made no mistake from 12 yards.

There was still time for Ryan Kent to receive his marching orders after being given a second yellow card by referee Kevin Clancy late on but Rangers stood firm to stay four points clear of Celtic.

A Josh Ginnelly double saw Hearts earn a 2-0 win over St Johnstone to consolidate their third-place standing in the table.

Ginnelly, who was sent off against Rangers in his last appearance before the winter break, broke the deadlock in the 46th minute with a fine finish and wrapped up the points with a second in the 75th minute at Tynecastle.

Ross County extended the distance between themselves and basement club St Johnstone to seven points with an impressive 3-1 win over Motherwell.

An inspired display by Regan Charles-Cook helped County to a superb victory over the fourth-placed side, who looked in the ascendancy at the midway point of the second half.

Charles-Cook created the opener at the end of the first half when his cross was sliced into his own net by Sondre Solholm Johansen but Jordan Roberts brought Motherwell back to parity in the 55th minute.

When Jordan Tillson was sent off for the hosts soon after it seemed likely the visitors would press home their advantage but Charles-Cook grabbed his goal with 72 minutes on the clock and confirmed the result with another from the penalty spot late on.

Bruce Anderson picked up where he left off with a brace to help Livingston earn a 2-0 triumph over Dundee.

Anderson netted on 26 December and was on target a minute into the second half having been denied by the crossbar moments earlier.

He doubled his tally and Livingston’s 10 minutes later to earn the West Lothian club all three points.

Tony Watt was summoned from the bench for his Dundee United debut but could not prevent a 2-1 loss at home to St Mirren, who triumphed for the first time in 12 attempts.

Jay Henderson and Eamonn Brophy struck for the visitors before the hour mark and although the hosts pulled one back through Alan Power’s own goal, they suffered a sixth straight loss.