Malawi's Frank Mhango scored twice as they stunned southern African rivals Zimbabwe in Group B at the Africa Cup of Nations to keep their second round hopes alive at the Kouekong Stadium in Bafoussam on Friday.

Ishmael Wadi put Zimbabwe ahead in the first half, but Mhango levelled just before the break and then added the second after 58 minutes as he took advantage of some hesitant defending and supplied a poacher's finish.

Malawi have three points from two games and lie third in the group behind Senegal and Guinea, who each have four. Zimbabwe have lost both of their matches to date.

Gabadinho Mhango celebrates with teammates after scoring against Zimbabwe

Malawi, whose only other win at the Cup of Nations was a 3-0 success over Algeria in 2010, play tournament favourites Senegal in their final Group B game at the same venue on Tuesday, while Zimbabwe will meet Guinea in Yaounde.

Earlier, Senegal, heavily impacted by Covid-19 infections, failed to impress again at the Africa Cup of Nations but a 0-0 draw with Guinea in Bafoussam all but ensured their progress to the knockout stages.

The two West African rivals share top spot in Group B with four points after winning their respective opening games on Monday.

With the top two in each group, plus the four best third-placed finishers to advance, four points is expected to be enough for a place in the last 16, but Senegal have done little to live up to their tag as the team to beat at the tournament as they feel the impact of 10 absentees.

Senegal captain Sadio Mane had a chance from a close-range free kick early in the game at the Kouekong Stadium, but struck the wall with his effort.

He was largely overshadowed in the opening half by his Liverpool team mate Naby Keita, who drove his Guinea team forward on frequent occasions with probing runs at the opposing defence.

It was Keita's clever through ball that split the Senegal defence and set two Guinea strikers free on goal. Yet Ilaix Moriba had his initial effort saved by Seny Dieng and then Morgan Guilavogui botched the rebound.

Senegal were a much improved outfit after the break and Bouna Sarr’s searching 52nd-minute free kick was close to delivering the first goal, needing just a touch to guide it in.

Four minutes later centre back Abdou Diallo powered a header just over the crossbar from a free kick and in the 67th minute Mane’s run straight down the middle from the centre circle set up Sarr with a golden chance but he snatched the ball wide.

Senegal’s 10 missing players, all out because of Covid-19 infections, included captain Kalidou Koulibaly and first choice goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, who also missed their opening game on Monday, as well as Idrissa Gana Gueye and Fode Ballo Toure, who tested positive following the narrow 1-0 win over Zimbabwe in their opening match.

Morocco proved too strong for the Comoros Islands, winning 2-0 to stay top of Group C and ensure progress to the last 16 of the competition.

Selim Amallah scored after 16 minutes and Zakaria Aboukhlal struck on the final whistle to ensure the win, after Youssef En-Nesyri had a penalty saved.

Youssef En-Nesyri had his penalty saved but Morocco came through against Comoros Islands

The score should have been significantly more one-sided had Morocco taken all their chances as they overwhelmed the tournament debutants at the Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium.

Ghana had to settle for a 1-1 draw as Gabon struck two minutes from time through Jim Allevinah to put the campaign of the four-time champions in peril.

Ghana's captain Andre Ayew blasted home a superb left-foot shot for an 18th minute lead but the result leaves them with one point from two Group C matches and in danger of elimination if they do not win their last game against Comoros next Tuesday.

A testy encounter ended in scuffles and a red card for Ghana's Benjamin Tetteh for his part in the post-match punch up.

Gabon were not allowed to field captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who although out of Covid-19 isolation, was left out of the team due to a minor heart condition.