Player of the match Lee Desmond admitted he hadn't enjoyed the build up to the FAI Cup final, but added that he was delighted to get over the line in the end.

A record crowd for a final at the Aviva of 37,126 witnessed an entertaining all-Dublin decider as St Patrick's Athletic claimed their second victory in eight years after beating Bohemians on penalties.

Chris Forrester looked like he had won the game for the Inchicore side in extra time, only for Rory Feely to head Bohs level. Vitezslav Jaros then made a point-blank save from Ross Tierney as the northside club looked to turn their momentum into a winner.

Bohemians made the first move from the spot kicks when James Talbot saved Forrester's effort, but Pat's were let off the hook when Tyreke Wilson dragged his effort past the right post.

Jaros saving from Tierney in extra time

Keith Ward was unlucky to see his effort go over off the crossbar, before Robbie Benson cooly slotted home the winner.

"I thought when Chris scored we were going to hang on," Desmond told RTÉ Sport afterwards.

"They're good at set pieces, they always have been. Rory got across me for the goal and I was saying, 'don't let me be the reason we don't win the game.'

"We knew Vitezslav would save at least one. That's him all season. I thought he should have got in the team of the year but Talbot showed tonight why he's in it, so fair play to both of the keepers.

"You can't get onto anyone for missing a penalty so credit is due to the lads who stepped up. He (Forrester) was excellent again tonight, as he has been all season.

"I'm delighted for Robbie to win it."

Much had been made in the build up to a potential record modern attendance for the fixture since the renovation of the old Lansdowne Road.

And the numbers present beat the previous high watermark set at the 2010 final between the Rovers - Shamrock and Sligo.

But Desmond admitted that the hype had played on his mind this week.

"I didn't really enjoy the last week to be honest," he continued.

"It was a new experience for myself, dealing with the pressure, but you have to put that aside. Once you get your warm up in, and get your first few touches on the ball, it's just a normal game.

"I'm absolutely delighted."

Alan Mathews, the Pat's manager, has had his own cup successes before, guiding Longford Town to back-to-back victories in 2003 and 2004.

With Pat's league title challenge having ended relatively early in the season, Mathews was relieved to pick up silverware in Dublin 4.

"Overall it was a good game," he said. "It was a terrific spectacle with over 37,000 here. Thankfully we've come out the right side of it.

"I thought we did well to get the goal - it was a terrific goal from Chris - and then went asleep from a set piece. The game was very much open at that stage.

"For the keeper to make the save that he did, and to put in the performance that he did, it's a fitting end to the season that he's given us this year. He's one of many magnificent players that we've had today.

"I feel for Bohs, I've been there myself, losing cup finals on penalties - it's a hard thing. But this is our night and the players deserve it, they've been magnificent all season.

"We got runners up in the league, and now we finish with an FAI Cup champions medal, so it's a terrific end to the season for us."