Shelbourne are Women's National League champions after a dramatic final-day turnaround which saw leaders Peamount United slip up at home to Galway WFC.

Shels went into their home game against third-placed Wexford Youths two points adrift of reigning champions Peamount.

But a 3-2 victory for Shelbourne coupled with Peamount spurning a two-goal lead in an eventual 5-2 defeat saw the two Dublin clubs swap places at the top.

That ensured that Shelbourne won their first WNL title since 2016 and ended a run of three runner-up finishes in succession.

Jessica Stapleton opened the scoring for Noel King's side on 22 minutes against Wexford as they set about holding up their end of the final-day bargain before Noelle Murray doubled that lead just one minute later from the penalty spot.

Stapleton scored her second of the night shortly after half-time to leave Shels cruising, with Peamount drawing at the break against Galway meaning the top two were level on points after 45 minutes.

But two second half goals from Wexford's Kylie Murphy, including one in the closing stages, saw Shelbourne nerves fray in the knowledge that another goal from the visitors would see Peamount, who at that point were trailing against Galway, retain the title.

But Shelbourne held on to secure victory and league glory on 61 points, one clear of their rivals and with the possibility of securing a double when they face Wexford again in the FAI Women's Cup final next on 21 November.


In the end it was quite a collapse by the 2020 winners. Áine O'Gorman's header ensured she won the Golden Boot award for Top Goalscorer before a Tiegan Ruddy free-kick was bundled into the Galway net by goalkeeper Leah Hayes Cohen.

Peamount were in the best possible position, but two great goals, from Emma Starr and Lynsey McKey, drew the scores level going in at the interval.

After the break Galway extended went ahead when a cross from Shauna Brennan flew into the back of the net before ex-Peamount winger Julie-Ann Russell and substitute Abbie Callanan finished it off.

Elsewhere on the final night of action, Athlone Town and Bohemians drew 1-1, while DLR Waves had a 3-1 win away to Treaty United.