A double from Ross Tierney inspired Bohemians to end their run of poor league form at the expense of Drogheda United at Dalymount Park.

Keith Long had an inspired performance from 20-year-old Tierney to thank, as the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international added to his tally of a goal and an assist in the draw against St Patrick's Athletic last Monday.

The attacking midfielder has already agreed a deal with Scottish Premiership side Motherwell for next season but appears intent on leaving Phibsborough with a series of parting gifts.

The win puts the FAI Cup finalists in fourth place, equal on points with Derry City and Dundalk who sit behind on goal difference.

It is the tightest of leads for now, as the Gypsies seek to guarantee their place in the Europa Conference League for next season by finishing in the top four.

United are now looking over the shoulder with a four-point cushion on their relegation play-off rivals. Waterford and Finn Harps have a game in hand to be played next week.

Before this evening, Long’s side had just one win in their last nine league outings, meaning Drogheda – with two wins and a draw in their last five – arrived with reasonable hopes despite suffering a late loss to Louth rivals Dundalk last week.

However, the star on the night, Tierney looked capable of putting an end to those hopes early on.

The Drogheda defence had barely gathered their surroundings when the 20-year-old uncovered a path from which to charge into the Drogheda box, before flashing a cross through the six-yard box.

Bohs, for the most part, looked comfortable neutralising the Drogheda attack on the night. Ciaran Kelly used his pace to mop up passes aimed for the run of Jordan Adeyemo, while ex-Bohemians man Dinny Corcoran struggled to get into the game.

Failing to beat Kelly in behind, Adeyemo managed to get the upper hand on the 28th minute when he dropped deep to control a high ball.

Moving towards his own goal, the 21-year-old enticed Kelly with him before spinning and playing a pass into Luke Heeney.

Suddenly Kelly was out of position and Drogheda shirts were capitalising. Conor Kane was unleashed down the left-wing, but Kelly took him down before he could reach the byline.

Swinging in the free-kick, Heeney aimed towards Daniel O’Reilly at the back post but it was Kelly marking him who deflected the ball into his own net. Dinny Corcoran was originally credited with the goal but replays appeared to show Kelly putting it past his own goalkeeper.

A goal down, Bohemians regained control of possession but their first-half chances were limited to a hat-trick of long shots from Dawson Devoy, who impressed as ever.

Drogheda got the second half underway but weren’t allowed to settle as Tierney furiously chased down possession. The home side had a renewed sense of urgency and soon an equaliser, too.

Ali Coote chested the ball down in midfield before offloading to Tierney, who found the bottom left corner from the edge of the box.

Five minutes later, Tierney should have given Bohs the lead. Promise Omochere employed his strength to hold up possession before slipping a pass through the backline for Tierney to strike in the box. However, Odomusu easily gathered the shot.

The noisy home crowd became increasingly energised as a series of chances presented themselves.

Through on goal, Omochere struck a powerful shot into the side netting on the 66th minute before Devoy flashed another just wide minutes later.

It seemed like only a matter of time and with 15 minutes to go Bohemians finally took the lead.

Not surprisingly, it was Tierney again who produced the magic – striking a wonderful dipping shot into the corner from 30 yards out.

Bohemians looked comfortable on the ball for the remainder of time, even if the home crowd became nervous and suspicious of every decision called against them.

The visitors had one last chance to equalise when substitute Mark Doyle saw the ball line up for him in the box. However, his shot flew wildly over the bar, giving the home side all three points.

Bohemian FC: Stephen McGuinness; Andy Lyons (Rory Feely, 56), Ciaran Kelly, Rob Cornwall, Tyreke Wilson; Ali Coote (Keith Ward, 74), Conor Levingston, Dawson Devoy (Keith Buckley, 89), Ross Tierney, Liam Burt; Promise Omochere.

Drogheda United: David Odumosu; James Brown, Joe Redmond, Daniel O’Reilly, Dane Massey (James Clark, 80), Conor Kane; Killian Phillips, Luke Heeney (Ronan Murray, 80), Jake Hyland (Darragh Markey, 80); Dinny Corcoran (Chris Lyons, 74), Jordan Adeyomo (Mark Doyle, 63).

Referee: Damien MacGraith.