Two locals provided Sligo Rovers with a much needed three points as the Bit O'Red finally saw off Drogheda United at The Showgrounds.

Second half strikes from Collooney’s John Mahon and Riverstown native Johnny Kenny saw Rovers pick up their first win in seven league outings.

With their third spot under siege from the chasing Derry City and Bohemians, it was a tentative Rovers who conceded an early opportunity to a well-drilled United side.

Garry Buckley conceding possession to Mark Doyle whose cross field run resulted in a drilled effort which ran narrowly past Ed McGinty’s post after eight minutes.

Rovers have looked to the exuberance of local striker Kenny in recent weeks and the youngster had first sight of goal on 13. Kenny cutting out a cross-field ball, but the angle proved too wide for the attacker who could only plant the ball into the side-netting.

Sligo’s Adam McDonnell sent two Drogs defenders to the floor with neat dummy in front of the United area on mid-way through the half. But the Dubliner’s strike did not match the finesse of his first move as he skied from 25 yards out.

United’s Joe Redmond then went close from a Darragh Markey corner, while Andre Wright squandered the best chance of the half at the other end before the break.

Wright combining with team-mate Lewis Banks whose stinger was palmed away by Drogs goalkeeper David Odumosu. The ball landing at the feet of Wright who could only knock his shot against the legs of a well-positioned defender on Odumosu’s goal-line.

The once Dundalk stopper was called upon again to keep things level at the interval, this time from Ryan De Vries.


Kenny mis-judged the flight of Walter Figueira’s cross early in the second half as he acrobatically scissor-kicked the Londoner’s cross over the bar. While Mahon’s header from close range suffered the same fate as he ballooned over from McDonnell’s corner moments later.

Drogheda did just enough to keep out Robbie McCourt just short of the hour as Sligo pinned their opponents back for a short period. McGinty then got behind a Conor Brown strike on a United counter as Tim Clancy’s side remained competitive.

But a nervy home crowd settled on 72 as Sligo hit the front. Mahon making no mistake this time as he powered McDonnell’s corner past Odumosu at the back post.

Wright then dragged a side-footer wide of the target with ten to go as Rovers looked to solidify their position in this tie.

Kenny then struck two minutes from time to put the result beyond doubt. The teen blasting past Odumosu in the mud to secure a much valued three points for Liam Buckley’s side.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty; Lewis Banks, John Mahon, Garry Buckley, Robbie McCourt; Greg Bolger, Adam McDonnell; Walter Figueira, Ryan De Vries (Mark Byrne 69); Johnny Kenny, Andre Wright (David Cawley 92).

Drogheda United: David Odumosu; Joe Redmond, Daniel O’Reilly, Dane Massey (Ronan Murray 75); James Brown, Gary Deegan, Killian Phillips (Jake Hyland 75), Conor Kane; Darragh Markey (Luke Heeney 60), Chris Lyons (Jordan Adeyemo 55), Mark Doyle.

Referee: Rob Hennessy.