A lot of people were waiting for Peamount to make a big statement about their ability to enter the final run-in to the season as the undoubted leaders. This was it!

For Treaty, they were like a trainee driver who had taken a wrong turn onto a Grand Prix circuit as the speed of the game left them so far behind that it felt like they never got started.

Peamount were 5-0 up by the interval with Sabhdh Doyle, Áine O'Gorman (2), Stephanie Roche and Alannah McEvoy all netting. After the restart, McEvoy scored twice more before Becky Watkins and a brace from Lauren Kelly wrapped it all up.

Treaty are not a team who should be losing by this scoreline but Peamount were in an unforgiving mood as they opened up a four-point lead at the top of the table with four games left to play.

On Saturday, a spectacular Alex Kavanagh strike on the stroke of half time settled the first-ever Women's National League live broadcast in fitting style.

An open and entertaining game ended with nails bitten to the bone among the sizable home support, but Shels held out to keep their slim title hopes alive.

Shels had to labour as they were outplayed for long periods by a Waves side who lack the individual talent of the home side but were more organised and efficient on the ball.

The absence of a real cutting edge to Waves' play ensured Shels remain mathematically in he hunt for the title but they badly missed the departed Jamie Finn in midfield.

They were pinned back for large periods of both halves but took advantage of a purple patch at the end of the first half to score the only goal.

Kavanagh was teed up 25 yards out by player of the match Noelle Murray and sent an unstoppable shot looping over Ireland keeper Eve Badana.

For long parts of the first half, the home side were pinned back as they struggled to put a foot on the ball and take control.

Much of that was down to the energy of the Waves midfield duo, ex-Shels player Fiona Donnelly and Nadine Clare, who had the better of that battle throughout.Clare had the first clear chance of the game as she called Amanda Budden into action with a well-struck effort from 20 yards.

Donnelly's attempt shortly afterwards was more audacious as she looked to catch the keeper off her line from distance, but again Budden was live to it.

Shels' first chance arrived from a set piece as Jess Gargan found Jessie Stapleton and her diving header was blocked before Badana stopped a follow-up effort.

Saoirse Noonan passed up a great chance to open the scoring when she was sent through by a slick Murray backheel but Eve Badana saved well from close range.

Badana was helpless to keep out Kavanagh's stunning strike two minutes before half time, however, as the ball looped into the top corner.

Waves continued to push and should have levelled when the pacey Jetta Berrill raced clear of the defence but Budden was out quickly to block her shot.

Subs Carla McManus and Catherine Cronin both had efforts in the box blocked as Waves continued to push, but the stress of three games in a week saw them run out of gas.

Shelbourne: Amanda Budden; Jess Gargan, Shauna Fox, Pearl Slattery, Chloe Mustaki (Leah Doyle 79); Jessie Stapleton, Rachel Graham, Ciara Grant; Alex Kavanagh, Noelle Murray, Saoirse Noonan.

DLR Waves: Eve Badana; Aoife Brophy, Jess Gleeson, Niamh Barnes, Katie Burdis (Niamh Prior 82); Fiona Donnelly, Nadine Clare, Katie Malone (Carla McManus 64); Kerri Letmon (Avril Brierley 82), Shauna Carroll (Catherine Cronin 57), Jetta Berrill.

Referee: Mark Moynihan.

Elsewhere, Wexford Youths saw their title ambitions suffer a serious blow as they lost 1-0 at home to Galway United.

A win would have taken the side top, temporarily at least with Peamount not in action until Sunday, but their long unbeaten home run came to an end as Aoibheen Costello scored a winner for the visitors in the final moments.

Wexford had the better of the chances at Ferrycarrig Park with Edel Kennedy, Sinead Taylor and Ciara Rossiter – who hit the crossbar in the final seconds – all having chances, but Costello's injury-time strike proved decisive.

Athlone’s two-goal salvo in the lead-up to the break helped them to all three points at home to Cork City.

Louise O’Aodha gave Athlone the lead in the 36th minute with her long-range strike finding the net with the help of the crossbar and Roisin Molloy quickly doubled their advantage.

Laura Shine had a few opportunities as Cork tried to get back into the game after the break, but they couldn’t find a way through.