St Patrick's Athletic spread the goals around with five different names on the scoresheet - Billy King scoring twice - to ease into the second round of the FAI Cup as they had far too much for First Division Bray Wanderers at Richmond Park.

The result was never in doubt as Stephen O’Donnell's side, with three changes from last week’s 2-0 win over Drogheda United that moved them back second in the Premier Division table, troubled Bray for the first time six minutes in.

Matty Smith was all too easily allowed to cruise in from the right with the ball fed on by Ben McCormack to Sam Bone.

Seagulls’ skipper Aaron Barry stood his ground to block Bone’s powerful drive.

Though knocking the ball around smartly, St Pat’s were having to work hard to penetrate Wanderers’ well-organised rearguard. The home side’s first effort on target didn’t arrive until the 18th minute when the lively Smith cut in from the left to shoot straight into the arms of Brian Maher.

But a mistake from Bray’s Ireland Under-21 international keeper Maher gifted Saints the lead five minutes later.

Jamie Lennon swept the ball wide left for winger King who checked inside to get his low shot away.

Maher looked set to comfortably gather, but appeared to take his eye off the ball which deflected off his left glove to roll into the corner of the net.

That should have been extended on the half hour. McCormack played a one-two with King to get to the end line on the left. The cross had a little too much pace on it for McClelland arriving at the back post who sliced wide when he looked set to score.

Jayson McClelland St. Patrick's Athletic celebrates with team-mates

Promotion play-off hopefuls Bray threatened for the first time on 32 minutes. Clever play from Joe Doyle on the left saw him pick out Darren Craven in space. Lee Desmond defended diligently to make a block tackle with the ball cleared.

Six minutes later St Pat’s doubled their lead.

A fine move found King in acres of space on the left to cross for McClelland who made no mistake this time with a superb diving header.

Totally outplayed in the first half, to their credit Bray came out and had a go from the resumption.

Darren Craven had a goal bound shot strike team-mate Richie O’Farrell before Dylan Barnett forced Vitezslav Jaros into a tip over save with a crisp half volley from distance.

But normal service resumed at the other end on 54 minutes when St Pat’s extended their lead further.

Skipper Ian Bermingham whipped over a superb deep cross from the left touchline to find the totally unmarked McCormack, the 18-year-old heading home his first goal for the club.

And it was all over as a contest three minutes after that.

Again Bermingham delivered a terrific cross which was nodded down by McClelland for Bone to rifle a left foot shot to the net off a post.

Paddy Barrett got in on the scoring act to make it 5-0 on 62 minutes, showing clever feet for a centre-back before curling a delightful right-foot shot to the top corner.

King completed the rout on 14 minutes from time with his second goal of the night, racing down the inside left channel before drilling a shot to the far corner of the net.

St Patrick’s Athletic: Vitezslav Jaros (Josh Keeley 80); Sam Bone, Paddy Barrett, Lee Desmond (John Mountney 64), Ian Bermingham; Jamie Lennon, Alfie Lewis (Kian Corbally 77); Billy King (Tommy Lonergan 80), Ben McCormack, Jay McClelland; Matty Smith.

Bray Wanderers: Brian Maher; Andrew Quinn (Sean Callan 79), Aaron Barry, Danny Jones; Joe Doyle, Mark Byrne (Luka Lovic 61), Richie O’Farrell, Darren Craven, Dylan Barnett (Dean O’Shea 79); Brandon Kavanagh (Gary Shaw 61), Sam Verdon (Stephen Kinsella 70).

Referee: John McLoughlin (Roscommon).