Sligo lose 1-3 on aggregate

Sligo Rovers were left to wonder what might have been after they exited the Europa Conference League, following a second defeat in a week to Icelandic side Fimleikafelag Hafnarfjordur.

Steven Lennon bagged two goals on the break, while Johnny Kenny scored Rovers' consolation.


A goal down from the first leg at Kaplakriki, Sligo dominated this first half at the Showgrounds and by large, both legs.

Romeo Parkes recovered well under the pressure of an FH defender but could only nudge the ball straight at Faroese goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen during the opening exchanges.

Rovers passed up a number of decent opportunities in Iceland and good fortune continued to evade them as the opening period wore on.

Lewis Banks headed Regan Donelon’s cross past the FH post, while David Cawley and Jordan Gibson both had chances.

Romeo Parkes gets past FH Hafnarfjordur's Hördur Ingi Gunnarsson

The hosts continued to press their opponents and their best opening arrived on 22.

Parkes connecting with Walter Figueira’s superb through ball, but the Jamaican could only drag his effort across goal.

Parkes mis-timed his headed effort from a David Cawley cross before the visitors delivered a sucker punch three minutes from the break.

Rovers conceded a soft free at the end line and, having failed to clear the first attempt the resulting ball from Vok Dimitrijevic’s set piece fell to Lennon, who volleyed past Luke McNicholas for his second goal of the tie.

With no away goal in play, Sligo still needed two goals to progress. But any lingering positivity from the first half seemed to drain away when FH went three ahead.

Donelon pulled Jonatan Jonsson to the ground inside the Sligo area, before Lennon dispatched the subsequent spot-kick.

Steven Lennon of FH Hafnarfjordur scores his side's second goal from a penalty

Liam Buckley’s charges did have the ball in the FH net shortly after, but the referee’s assistant spotted an offside in the lead up to further compound their frustration.

Donelon hammered a volley over the target on 56, while Jonsson scuffed a rare FH opportunity at the opposite end seven minutes later.

Substitute Baldur Gudlaugsson could only find the side netting, after an FH corner wriggled its way to the back post as the Urvalsdeild outfit looked to kill Sligo off.

Johnny Kenny celebrates his goal

The League of Ireland side pulled back what was only a consolation goal six minutes from time.

Kenny following in the footsteps of his namesake and father, by netting a European goal for his hometown club.

Sligo Rovers: McNicholas, Banks, Blaney, Buckley, Donelon (Kane 71), Morahan (McDonnell 79), Cawley (Horgan 71), Gibson (Keogh 79), Figueira, De Vries (Kenny 59), Parkes.

FH: Nielsen: Gunnarsson, Vidarsson, Jonsson, Lennon (Arnarsson 94), Vilhjalmsson, Sverrisson (Robertsson 82), Jonsson (Hreidarsson 94), Kristjansson, Thorisson, Dimitrijevic (Gudlaugsson 73).

Referee: Luis Teixeira (Portugal)