A Dane Massey own goal earned Longford a morale-boosting draw as they came from behind against Drogheda at Bishopsgate.

The result was sufficient to move Drogheda above Bohemians into fourth place in the table on goals scored but Longford, without a win now in 19 games, are six points adrift at the bottom following Waterford's win at Finn Harps on Friday.

Drogheda began with the confidence of a side that had put eight goals past Longford in their two earlier meetings this season.

But it was Town who opened up the visitors' three-man defence for the game's first chance on eight minutes.

Paddy Kirk surged forward from left-back to pick out Dylan Grimes in a central position. The Town '10’ showed clever feet in pirouetting to work the opening only to see his shot deflected out for the first corner of the evening.

Drogheda troubled Town from a corner at the other end minutes later, Chris Lyons’ shot on the turn blocked before Longford were relieved to hear the whistle for a free out.

There was no denying Drogheda’s dominant start, though, as they had the lead from their third corner of the game on 14 minutes.

Lyons, the smallest man of the pitch, outfoxed his marker Kirk in the area to meet Luke Heeney’s floated delivery and head past Lee Steacy from close in for his ninth goal of the season.

Grimes remained Longford’s chief attacking threat with his trickery winning a 39th minute free kick which he took himself. While getting the strike up and over the wall, it didn’t have sufficient pace to trouble David Odumosu.

Longford had a little more about them on the resumption, but it was Drogheda who came close to doubling their advantage on 52 minutes.

Again the Midlanders struggled to defend a corner, Heeney’s ball across headed down by Killian Phillips for Lyons to hook over the top on the turn.

The woodwork then rescued Longford five minutes later. The impressive Heeney skipped way on the left to cross for Lyons to set up Mark Doyle whose improvised volley cannoned back off the crossbar.

Longford continued to work hard with Grimes again their main threat. He looked set to get off a shot when found in space inside the area, but Phillips got back superbly to make the tackle.

Drogheda went straight down the other end with Heeney picking out Lyons whose attempted lob over Steacy was off target.

The home side continued to work hard, however, and got their reward on 73 minutes.

Loanee Darragh Nugent got the ball to Grimes in the box and his shot was deflected into his own net by the retreating Massey.

Longford Town: Lee Steacy; Shane Elworthy, Aaron O’Driscoll, Joe Manley, Paddy Kirk (Matt O’Brien 60); Dean Zambra (Aaron Dobbs 60), Darragh Nugent; Aaron McNally, Dylan Grimes (Dean Byrne 85), Karl Chambers (Rob Manley 60); Dean Williams.

Drogheda United: David Odumosu; Killian Phillips, Daniel O’Reilly, Dane Massey; James Brown, Gary Deegan, Luke Heeney (Jake Hyland 64), Conor Kane; Darragh Markey (James Clarke 60), Chris Lyons (Dinny Corcoran 72), Mark Doyle (Mark Hughes 72).

Referee: Rob Hennessy (Clare).