Ali Coote scored his first goals as a Gypsy to ignite Bohemians' season as they overran Finn Harps at Dalymount Park to avenge their opening night defeat in Ballybofey.

It was only the Gypsies' third win of the campaign, and first at home, as Keith Long’s side ruined Ollie Horgan’s 250th match in charge of Harps.

Scottish midfielder Coote scored twice after Ross Tierney had given Bohemians an early lead as they won this game with a blitzkrieg first half display, skipper Keith Buckley adding their fourth goal at the death.


A dominant start by Bohemians brought a sixth minute half chance for Georgie Kelly, latching onto a Rory Feely ball down the inside-right channel. Kosovar Sadiki read it well to get across and make a solid block on Kelly’s shot.

There was no-one there eight minutes later, though, when Bohemians’ bright start got its reward.

It was route one, as James Talbot’s goal-kick bounced through for the run of Liam Burt on the left. The wingers low cross had sufficient pace on it to reach the far post where Tierney arrived to blast the ball to the roof of Mark McGinley’s net.

The 20-yard old almost added to his third goal of the season minutes later, heading over from Coote’s free kick, before Bohemians punished abject defending to deservedly double their lead on 20 minutes.

Ross Tierney opening the scoring for Bohemians

Again it stemmed from deep. Right-back Rory Feely broke up a Harps' attack to push the ball on for Coote.

And the Scot ran from deep in his own half, unchallenged for some 40 yards, until hitting a low right-foot drive that arrowed past McGinley into his bottom right corner, the 22-year-old’s first goal for the club.

Further shocking defending brought Bohemians a third goal in the final minute of the half.

Mark Coyle’s attempted clearance from his own box deflected off Kelly into the path of Coote who took a touch to arrow his drive into the far bottom corner.

Horgan made three changes at the interval, bringing in Johnny Dunleavy in defence, Ethan Boyle to bolster his midfield and Sean Boyd in attack.

It had an impact of sorts as Harps had an edge to them from the restart.

Barry McNamee worked Talbot for the first time 12 minutes in before Will Seymore should really have hit the target instead of smashing a half volley wide from Boyd’s flick on.

Bohemians weathered that, however, to play their way back into the game, Burt bringing a fine save from McGinley on 66 minutes.

Tierney then won the ball in midfield to surge forward and rattle Harps' crossbar with a thumping shot from distance.

Buckley then added the gloss in the fourth minute of stoppage time, cracking home from just inside the box following substitute Promise Omochere's lay off.

Bohemians: James Talbot; Rory Feely, Rob Cornwall, James Finnerty, Anto Breslin; Keith Buckley, Dawson Devoy; Ali Coote (Promise Omochere 80), Ross Tierney (Robbie Mahon 87), Liam Burt (Keith Ward 87); Georgie Kelly.

Finn Harps: Mark McGinley; Dave Webster, Kosovar Sadiki, Stephen Folan (Johnny Dunleavy h-t); Karl O’Sullivan, Will Seymore, Mark Coyle (Ethan Boyle h-t), Mark Russell; Barry McNamee (Mark Timlin 70); Tunde Owolabi (Sean Boyd h-t; Tony McNamee 75)), Adam Foley.

Referee: Ray Matthews (Longford).