Finn Harps secured their first ever league success over Derry City at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Adam Foley's late strike, meant that Ollie Horgan’s men secured their first win in five games and over the 90 minutes just about shaded the victory.

The result pushes the Donegal club four points clear of fifth place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division table, with 14 points from nine games.

Harps had a good chance on three minutes as Karl O'Sullivan’s run and cross from the right found Barry McNamee at the near post, but the ex-Brandywell man side-footed wide from close range.

On 14 minutes Harps had an even better chance as Tunde Owoiabi latched onto Mark Coyle’s pass, but his well hit drive was saved by an out-rushing Nathan Gartside.

That missed chance came back to haunt Harps as Derry broke the deadlock three minutes later as Will Patching sent James Akintunde clear down the left. He cut inside past both David Webster and Kosovar Sadiki before firing home into the bottom right hand corner.

Right on the stroke of half-time the woodwork denied Harps an equaliser as Will Seymore’s long range strike, which had Gartside beaten, rattled the crossbar.

Harps goalkeeper Mark Anthony McGinley was called into action when he did well to push Patching’s deep free-kick over the bar. The visitors deservedly levelled things on 55 minutes as David Webster’s initial header was superbly kept out by Gartside, but Karl O’Sullivan was on hand to fire home the rebound, despite Cameron McJannet’s best attempts at trying to clear the ball off the line.

Karl O'Sullivan after scoring Harps' first goal

Derry hit the woodwork themselves on 85 minutes as Will Fitzgerald's clever pass found Jack Malone, but the substitute’s side-footed strike from 12 yards came back off the post and Akintunde, with the goal at his mercy fired over.

Harps scored what turned out to be the winner on 89 minutes as Barry McNamee showed great skill and composure to find Foley, who calmly made no mistake firing home past Gartside.

Right at the death Derry hit the woodwork for second time as Eoin Toal’s close range header, which had McGinley beaten, came back off the post.

Derry City: Nathan Gartside, Ronan Boyce, Eoin Toal, Cameron McJannet, Daniel Lafferty; Joe Thomson (Jack Malone 69), Ciaron Harkin (Patrick Ferry 90), Will Patching; Will Fitzgerald, James Akintunde, Brendan Barr (David Parkhouse 56).

Finn Harps: Mark Anthony McGinley, David Webster (Ethan Boyle 66), Kosovar Sadiki, Stephen Folan, Mark Russell; Mark Coyle, WIll Seymore, Barry McNamee (Tony McNamee 90); Karl O’Sullivan, Adam Foley, Tunde Owoiabi (Jamie Browne 82).

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Donegal).