Derry City came from behind to earn their first point of the season, battling to a deserved draw with Drogheda United.

Winger James Brown gave the visitors the lead, but City youngster Ronan Boyce levelled things just before the break, heading home from close range.

In an entertaining second half both sides had chances, but in the end a draw for a result, although Derry boss Declan Devine will be disappointed that his side still haven't won in their opening five games.


The first chance either side created came on 18 minutes as a superb 20-yard pass over the top by Will Patching released Will Fitzgerald, who after getting in behind the Drogs defence, saw his tame header easily gathered by Colin McCabe.

Minutes later the visitors took the lead as Derry failed to clear the lines and although Cameron McJannet did well to block Darragh Markey's close range strike, the rebound was blasted home by Brown.

Derry levelled things on 39 minutes after a corner routine ended with Patching’s inch-perfect left footed cross finding Boyce, who gleefully headed home his first goal for his home town club.

Just after the hour mark Brown should have restored Drogheda’s lead when he got in behind the Derry defence, but his side footed strike was well saved by Nathan Gartside.

Declan Devine went a double change on 65 minutes with David Parkhouse and Joe Thomson replacing James Akintunde and Brendan Barr and the changes seemed to work as the home side started to get more on top.

Patching went close minutes later when he showed some neat skill on the edge of the box, but his curling left footed strike was deflected over by defender Daniel O’Reilly.

Three minutes from time that man Brown was at the heart of things again, but his stinging effort, which had Gartside beaten, hit the side netting.

Derry City: Nathan Gartside, Ronan Boyce, Eoin Toal, Cameron McJannet, Ciaran Coll; Jack Malone, Will Patching, Brendan Barr, Daniel Lafferty; Will Fitzgerald, James Akintunde.

Drogheda United: Colin McCabe, James Brown, Daniel O’Reilly, Dane Massey, Hugh Douglas (Jack Tuite HT), Darragh Markey (Luke Heeney 80), Gary Deegan, Chris Lyons (Jordan Adeyemo 77), Jake Hyland, Mark Doyle, Ronan Murray (Brandon Bermingham (65).

Referee: Mr Neil Doyle (Dublin).