Following back-to-back draws, Shelbourne have now recorded back-to-back wins in the SSE Airtricity League First Division with this comfortable 3-1 triumph against ten-man Cork City at Turner's Cross.

Goals from Ally Gilchrist, Shane Farrell, and a Yousef Mahdy penalty was enough to see Shels claim the victory against a City side who have now lost three games on the bounce despite taking the lead here with a Dylan McGlade spot-kick, as Jack Walsh’s red card in the first half proved crucial.


Colin Healy had named just the one change to his side that was defeated here by Athlone Town last time out - Darragh Crowley replacing Cian Bargary - but he was forced to make another when Steven Beattie picked up an injury with Uniss Kargbo coming in at the last minute.

And they were given a perfect opportunity to take the lead in the seventh minute as the referee pointed to the penalty spot after deciding that Maxim Kougoun had fouled Cian Coleman inside the penalty area.

Winger Dylan McGlade took the responsibility for the kick and coolly dispatched it into the top left corner, sending the keeper the wrong way in the process.

The Rebel Army were inches away from doubling their advantage on the quarter of an hour mark but captain Gearoid Morrissey's header from McGlade’s in-swinging corner deflected onto the top of the crossbar at the Shed End.

Shels soon grew into the game and they got their reward after 20 minutes as Ally Gilchrist bundled home the equaliser from a few yards out.

George Poynton had been causing City problems with his long-range passing. On this occasion, his corner picked out his centre-back inside the six-yard box and he forced the ball into the back of the net under pressure.

City were dealt a huge blow shortly past the half-hour as Jack Walsh was shown a straight red card following an off-the-ball incident that took place right in front of the two dugouts and crucially the fourth official, whom the referee briefly consulted.

The Reds failed to take advantage of the extra space before the half-time break but it would take them just two second-half minutes to edge into the lead.

Ronan Hurley failed to cut out Jonathan Lunney’s searching pass and with all the time in the world, Shane Farrell controlled the ball, composed himself and drilled his strike into the far top left corner.

Farrell soon sent a curler just past that same part of the City goal while Michael O’Connor was desperately unlucky not to make it 3-1 on 57 minutes but his header struck the base of the right post and rolled wide.

City’s veteran goalkeeper Mark McNulty kept his side in with a chance when he made a superb reaction save to turn Gilchrist’s header over his bar but the closest they would come to snatching a leveller was an ambitious effort by Dale Holland late on which Brendan Clarke easily dealt with.

Shelbourne deservedly wrapped up the three points in injury time as Yousef Mahdy just about beat McNulty with his penalty after Morrissey brought down Lunney.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Uniss Kargbo, George Heaven, Jonas Hakkinen (Beineon O’Brien-Whitmarsh 77), Ronan Hurley; Gearoid Morrissey, Alec Byrne; Darragh Crowley (Cian Murphy 55), Cian Coleman, Dylan McGlade (Dale Holland ht); Jack Walsh.

Shelbourne: Brendan Clarke; Michael Barker, Maxim Kougoun, Ally Gilchrist, Kevin O’Connor; George Poynton (Yousef Mahdy 63), Brian McManus; Shane Farrell (Alex Cetiner 95), Jonathan Lunney, Dayle Rooney; Michael O’Connor (Ryan Brennan 68).Referee: Marc Lynch.