A Rob Cornwall goal on the stroke of half-time was enough to see Bohemians take all three points against Waterford this evening in what was a dominant performance from the Dublin side.

Waterford went close with the first chance of the game after just two minutes. Winger James Waite whipped a deep cross into the box onto the head of Daryl Murphy. Murphy stretched to direct a header towards goal but wide of the post.

The early scare sparked the visitors into life as they settled into the game impressively in the following ten minutes. Darragh Power had to be sharp close to goal when a powerful Liam Burt cross flashed across the box but the Waterford defender was sharp to scoop the ball over the bar.

Moments later Keith Ward as he so often does did brilliantly to find space on the edge of the box before testing Martin with a drive from distance but it was saved well.

Ward was involved again on the half hour mark linking up well with a neat one two with James Finnerty before seeing his shot deflect off Ferguson and out for a corner.


Bohs with their early dominance were edging closer and closer to breaking the deadlock and did so on the stroke of half time.

A superb curling free kick on the edge of the box from Tyreke Wilson was too strong for Martin who could only palm the ball straight into the path of the waiting Cornwall yards from goal who tapped the ball into an empty net and deservedly gave his side the lead.

Waterford should have been level with the second half just three minutes old. A bout of football tennis was brought to an end by Jamie Mascoll with a diagonal cross into the box with Cameron Ferguson the intended target. Ferguson at full stretch managed to get a head on the ball but Talbot collected in the air to avert any danger.

Georgie Kelly came within a whisker of doubling his side's lead after a nice trio of passes between himself, Keith Ward and Liam Burt. Burt to conclude the move played a perfectly weighted pass into the path of Kelly but the in form striker couldn't get his effort on target.

John Martin hit a speculative effort towards goal as the clock ticked down to the final ten minutes in an attempt to catch Talbot out off his line but Talbot tracked back well to save with ease.

Substitutes Dawson Devoy and Jack Moylan had chances in the closing stages to put the game to bed for Keith Long’s side but Martin in the Waterford goal denied both with impressive saves.

Bohs held out for a narrow 1-0 win in a game that they dominated from start to finish with the three points moving them up to sixth place. Waterford remain in eight place with three points from a possible fifteen.

Waterford: Paul Martin; Darragh Power, Jamie Mascoll, Kyle Ferguson, Cameron Evans; James Waite (Jack Stafford 57), Isaac Tshipamba, Tunmise Sobowale, Adam O’Reilly (Katlego Mashigo 60); John Martin, Daryl Murphy (Prince Mutswunguma 35)

Bohemians: James Talbot; Tyreke Wilson, Rory Feely, James Finnerty, Rob Cornwall; Ross Tierney (Dawson Devoy 64), Ali Coote , Keith Ward (Jack Moylan 64), Keith Buckley; Liam Burt, Georgie Kelly

Referee: Adriano Reale