Dave Webster smashed home an injury-time winner to give Finn Harps a dramatic win over Waterford FC at Finn Park in the Airtricity League Premier Division on Saturday evening.

Just when it looked like it would finish with both teams taking a point apiece, the Harps captain finished marvellously into the top corner with all he had as Waterford just couldn't get a Barry McNamee corner away from their crowded box.  

It means that Ollie Horgan’s side move to second in the table, still unbeaten, and only behind St Patrick’s Athletic on goal difference.


John Martin opened the scoring for Waterford only for the hosts to get back on terms before half-time with Adam Foley the scorer.

Although the fixture computer wasn't the kindest to Kevin Sheedy’s side with consecutive away treks to the north-west in as many weeks, they were delighted with the first journey rendering a 2-1 win at Derry City.

Although the visitors started the brighter amid sunshine and snow, neither goalkeeper was called into serious action for large chunks of the opening 45 minutes.

A bullet header from Martin on 35 minutes edged Waterford in front and it was the first time Harps had been in arrears all season. Martin was completely unchallenged as he rose highest in the penalty area to head home a Jamie Mascoll free from the right.

The lead would be short-lived as just six minutes later, Foley was on hand to take a touch and smash his fourth goal of the season, shooting past Barry Murphy after decent play from Barry McNamee and Karl O’Sullivan in the build-up.

Foley’s goal was his fourth of the campaign, one more than he and Mark Russell managed in the whole of last season as Harps’ joint-top scorers.

In first half injury time, McNamee put a tantalizing ball across the Waterford six-yard box into the corridor of uncertainty, only to find no takers.

Harps began the third quarter laying siege on the Waterford goal with Murphy turning away a Russell shot and then a series of dangerous corners and penalty appeals.

Kosovar Sadiki glanced a header wide from a McNamee free-kick on 72 minutes. At the other end, Waterford’s substitutes Isaac Tshipamba Mulowayi and Daryl Muphy combined with the former putting in an excellent cross from the right only for Mark Anthony McGinley in the Harps goal to save the header from former Republic of Ireland international Murphy.

Will Seymore and Mark Coyle both warmed the hands of Waterford goalkeeper Murphy in the final 15 minutes, before the real drama came at the bitter end.

Finn Harps: Mark Anthony McGinley; Ethan Boyle, Shane McEleney, Kosovar Sadiki, Dave Webster (Stephen Folan 90+3); Karl O'Sullivan, Mark Coyle, Will Seymore, Barry McNamee; Mark Russell (Ryan Shanley 71); Adam Foley (Babatunde Owolabi 71).

Waterford United: Brian Murphy; Darragh Power, Kyle Ferguson, Cameron Evans, Jamie Mascoll; Shane Griffin (Isaac Tshipamba Mulowayi 68), Tunmise Sobowale, Adam O’Reilly, John Martin; Prince Mutswunguma (Daryl Murphy 61), James Waite.

Referee: John McLoughlin.