A fantastic long range effort from Eleanor Ryan-Doyle in the 87th minute saw Peamount United battle their way to a crucial 1-0 win against title rivals Wexford Youths this afternoon.

Peamount were probing for chances as early as the fourth minute. Smyth-Lynch found her captain at the back post with a looping cross but O'Gorman cleared the bar with her header.

Wexford could have taken the lead themselves with a brilliant counter attack on seven minutes. A quick exchange of passes between Murphy and Frawley left Frawley through on goal. Reid – Burke was quick off her line pulling off a fantastic save low down to deny the Wexford striker.

Fantastic link up play between Murphy, Molloy and Marie-Grant concluded with Marie-Grant getting a shot away close to goal which trailed wide.

Wexford should have taken the lead minutes before half time from a Ciara Rossiter effort. Rossiter on the edge of the box drove a low shot towards goal. Reid-Burke decided to leave it with the Wexford midfielder’s shot trickling just past the post.

Both sides found second half chances hard to come by with the gusty conditions. Áine O’Gorman and Lauren Dwyer had half chances at either end but nothing to really worry either goalkeeper.

Karen Duggan is challenged by Lynn Marie Grant in today's clash at Ferrycarrig Park

A frantic final ten minutes saw Kylie Murphy miss an 84th minute penalty after Ellen Molloy was bundled over in the box. Murphy’s effort from the spot came crashing back off the butt of the post.

Amazingly, just two minutes later, the champions were ahead through a great goal from Eleanor Ryan-Doyle.

The Peamount striker hit a speculative effort from distance which caught Gray out completely, the shot looping over her head and into the top corner of the net.

Peamount crucially held out for an invaluable three points which could prove decisive come the end of the season.

Wexford Youths: Ciamh Gray; Ciara Rossiter, Orlaith Conlon, Lauren Dwyer, Nicola Sinnott (Lynn Craven 89); Aoibhean Clancy, Edel Kennedy (Sinead Taylor 89), Ellen Molloy, Lynn Marie Grant; Aisling Frawley, Kylie Murphy

Peamount United: Niamh Reid-Burke; Lauren O’Callaghan, Dearbhile Beirne, Della Doherty, Claire Walsh; Karen Duggan, Lucy McCartan, Aine O’Gorman, Megan Smyth-Lynch (Rebbeca Watkins 80); Stephanie Roche (Sadhbh Doyle 65), Eleanor Ryan-Doyle

Referee: Claire Purcell

A first-half hat-trick from Rachel Kearns wasn't enough to give Galway WFC victory against a resilient Cork City at Eamonn Deacy Park. 

Galway were 2-0 up after just 22 minutes, Kearns meeting a corner with her head to give them the lead on the quarter hour mark and then re-directing Shauna Brennan's low cross to the net with her in-step seven minutes later. 

The 2020 WFAI Cup finalists rallied with two goals in three minutes around the half hour mark, Lauren Egbuloniu pulling one back after being laid on by Sarah McKevitt. 

Eabha O'Mahony lashed home the equaliser from the edge the box on 33 minutes. 

Before half-time, the Tribeswomen would go ahead again, Kearns completely her hat-trick with a sweetly struck volley from the right corner of the penalty box. 

The goals dried up thereafter and Galway looked to have done enough to hang on until the final few minutes when a speculative shot from Becky Cassin caught the keeper unawares, looping into the net. 

Bronagh Kane (L) celebrates scoring her side's first goal against Treaty United

In the earlier kick-off Bohs got off to a flying start as they hammered Treaty United 6-2  at the Oscar Traynor Centre. 

The hosts stormed out of the traps with Bronagh Kane's brace in the space of a minute, and then another by Naima Chemaou, leaving them 3-0 up by the 18th minute. Sophie Watters then added a fourth, with Treaty's Aoife Cronin pegging one back on the stroke of half-time.

After Cronin struck the post, the visitors scored again through Shannon Parbat on 57 minutes to briefly threaten a spectacular comeback but two minutes later Bohs substitute Aoife Robinson struck with her first touch to extinguish those hopes.

She netted again with eight minutes left to wrap up an impressive victory for the Gypsies.

Last year's runners-up Shelbourne got off to a winning start against a dogged Athlone Town in the midlands this afternoon.

The hosts, who finished seventh in last year's table, held Shels scoreless until the 68th minute when Pearl Slattery finally broke the deadlock with a terrific strike from distance which found the top corner.

Four minutes later, the away side made sure of the result, Emily Whelan being brought down in the box and Alex Kavanagh slotting home from the spot.