Katie McCabe's stunning strike was the highlight of a comprehensive 4-0 win for Arsenal at Aston Villa in the Women's Super League on Sunday.

Vivianne Miedema, Jordan Nobbs and Lisa Evans were also on the scoresheet in a fixture that was the first league meeting of the two sides this season after three postponements.

The Gunners looked bright all over the pitch in the first 45 minutes but a strong performance from Lisa Weiss and the Villa defence kept the scoreline level.

The pressure was mounting on the promoted hosts in the second half and the visitors finally opened the floodgates.

Dutch superstar Miedema broke the deadlock in the 58th minute, slotting home inside the six-yard box, and Nobbs, returning after a knee injury, then finished from a similar range.

McCabe lit up the Bescot Stadium with a 25-yard left-foot blast in the 73rd minute and Lisa Evans netted the last of the afternoon in the 88th minute with a glancing header into the top left corner.

Joe Montemurro's side now close the gap on Manchester United in a race to claim the third and final Champions League spot

Sam Mewis scored twice as Manchester City kept the pressure on Women's Super League leaders Chelsea with a 4-0 win at Birmingham.

United States midfielder Mewis, just back from injury, nodded City ahead before half-time and doubled the lead after the interval.

Lauren Hemp grabbed her fifth goal of the WSL season to make it three and Caroline Weir wrapped up a convincing victory with a tap-in from Ellen White's pass.

Jill Scott hit the winner as Everton held off a fightback from Tottenham to register a 3-2 triumph.

Everton raced into an early two-goal lead thanks to two Valerie Gauvin penalties, but Angela Addison's fine finish halved the deficit 10 minutes before half-time.

Gemma Davison, who was only promoted to the starting line-up at the last minute after an injury to So-hyun Cho, hauled Tottenham level with a half-volley into the far corner.

But all Spurs' hard work was undone when they left England midfielder Scott, on loan from Manchester City, free at a corner to secure the points.