Players from Paris St Germain and Istanbul Basaksehir walked off the pitch during the first half of their Champions League clash after the fourth official was accused of racism.

Tuesday night's Group H match in Paris was suspended after the Turkish team left the field in the 23rd minute, with the home side following them off.

It came after a red card was shown to one of Basaksehir’s staff, apparently assistant manager Pierre Webo, with video footage emerging which appeared to show the Cameroonian accusing the fourth official of using racist language.

Basaksehir posted a message on their Twitter account which read: "NO TO RACISM #Respect."

Video footage also showed Basaksehir striker Demba Ba remonstrating with the fourth official, Romanian Sebastian Coltescu, on the touchline.

The former Chelsea forward asked the official: "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say this black guy?"

Governing body UEFA said in a statement that the game would continue with a replacement fourth official, but more than an hour after the players left the pitch it had still not done so.

UEFA said: "Following an alleged incident involving the fourth official, the match was temporarily suspended. After consultation with both teams, it was agreed that the match would restart with a different fourth official.

"UEFA will thoroughly investigate the matter and further communication will be made in due course."

Basaksehir later announced that their players would not be appearing to complete the match.

"Our players have taken a decision NOT TO go back on the pitch after our Assistant Coach, Pierre Webo has been exposed to racist behaviour by the 4th Official," the Turkish champions wrote on Twitter.

UEFA confirmed soon after that the fixture would be completed on Wednesday following consultation with both clubs.

The governing body said: "Following an incident at tonight's UEFA Champions League match between Paris St Germain FC and Istanbul Basaksehir FK, UEFA has – after discussion with both clubs – decided on an exceptional basis to have the remaining minutes of the match played tomorrow with a new team of match officials. The kick-off has been set at 18:55 CET (17:55 Irish time).

"A thorough investigation on the incident that took place will be opened immediately."