FA Cup hit-man, Padraig Amond was back in the goals as Newport progressed to the third round of the FA Cup, beating Salford City 3-0.

The former Shamrock Rovers striker was joint top scorer in the competition during the 2018-19 season and bagged another from the spot in the victory for the Welsh side.

Salford's aim of reaching the third round for the first time in their history was dashed following a horror show second half at Newport, who cruised to triumph at Rodney Parade.

Brandon Thomas-Asante's red card shortly after half-time handed Newport control, with Jamie Proctor's header followed by Padraig Amond's penalty and Saikou Janneh's strike giving the Exiles an ultimately comfortable victory.

National League North minnows Chorley came from behind to beat Sky Bet League One Peterborough 2-1 and book a place in the FA Cup third round for the first time.

Recent Ireland call-up Jack Taylor had given Posh an early lead following a corner after two minutes.

Chorley, though, battled their way back and hit the woodwork twice in the first half before scoring two goals in three minutes either side of the hour mark.

Connor Hall knocked in from a tight angle to equalise, and the visitors had turned things around just three minutes later when wing-back Lewis Baines scored from a corner.

It could have got worse for Peterborough with 15 minutes left, but Harry Cardwell failed to convert a penalty as Christy Pym saved his spot-kick.

Earlier, Solihull Moors had threatened to spring another FA Cup shock, but Morecambe ended the Vanarama National League side's hopes by battling back to win 4-2 after extra-time at the Mazuma Stadium.

The visitors went ahead through Kyle Hudlin's effort and had two chances cleared off the line by Yann Songo'o in the first half before Cole Stockton's quickfire brace gave the Shrimps the lead just before the hour mark.

Former Morecambe full-back Jordan Cranston equalised as the tie went to an additional half hour but Solihull's resistance was ended by substitute John O'Sullivan's header and an unfortunate own goal by Mitch Hancox.

The Moors, who had beaten Scunthorpe in the last round, had played their part in an engrossing tie but it was Sky Bet League Two Morecambe who progressed to the third round for the first time in 18 years.

Non-league King's Lynn had overcome Port Vale last time out but were soundly beaten at Portsmouth, who never looked back after going ahead within two minutes and romped to a 6-1 victory at Fratton Park.

Rasmus Nicolaisen, Tom Naylor, Sean Raggett and Marcus Harness put Portsmouth four up before Dayle Southwell pulled one back to give King's Lynn something to show for their efforts.

It was a fleeting moment of joy for the visitors as Ellis Harrison then struck from the spot for the 2007-08 winners while Jordy Hiwula became Pompey's sixth different scorer late on.

George Lloyd scored an extra-time winner as League Two promotion chasers Cheltenham saw off League One Crewe 2-1.

Finn Azaz put Cheltenham ahead after just two minutes and although Chris Porter struck just after the hour it was the Robins who had the last laugh in extra-time thanks to Lloyd's header.

Harrogate conceded four times in the second half against Blackpool and finished with 10 men.

After a goalless first half, Mark Beck put into his own net before Grant Ward, Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel and Daniel Kemp struck to give the Tangerines a 4-0 win. Harrogate's day was compounded by Kevin Lokko's dismissal late on.

League Two Exeter sprung a surprise by claiming a 3-2 success at third-tier Gillingham, who took the lead through Vadaine Oliver before Nicky Law's leveller and two goals from Joel Randall put the Grecians in charge. Dominic Samuel pulled one back but Exeter held on.

Oldham came from behind to win 2-1 at League Two rivals Bradford, who took the lead through Clayton Donaldson's penalty before superb strikes from distance from both Conor McAleny and Danny Rowe turned the match on its head.

Luke Jephcott's early goal and a stunning edge-of-the-box volley from Ben Reeves handed Plymouth a 2-0 victory over fellow League One outfit Lincoln.