Wilson Waweru struck late as Galway United set up a Premier Division promotion play-off semi-final date with UCD or Longford next week.

The substitute pounced on the loose ball after Shane Doherty had been denied from close range by Wanderers keeper Brian Maher.

Both sides had hit the woodwork during an eventful second half that was high on intensity, if lacking in clear-cut chances.

Galway, who were only in the play-offs at the expense of Cabinteely after the Dublin club's walkover against Wexford was overturned in arbitration on Thursday, were quick out of the blocks.

Striker Enda Curran called Maher into action in the eight minute with a well-hit effort, before Callum Thompson fired a shot over Galway keeper Micheál Schlingermann's crossbar.

Both sides were restricted to long range efforts for much of the game, though Derek Daly did force Schlingermann to tip a daisy-cutter behind inside the opening 20 minutes.

The game opened up after the break, Galway defender Killian Brouder going close with a speculative flick from Marc Ludden’s free kick.

Michael Schlingermann saves a shot on goal by Derek Daly of Bray Wanderers

Stephen Christopher and Timmy Molloy both skied efforts from outside the box, while Ryan Graydon was unlucky to see his header hit the wrong side of the stanchion on the hour.

Galway boss John Caulfield introduced Waweru and Place in an attacking move, but it was Bray who went closest as Ireland under-17 international Sean McEvoy swivelled and hit the base of the post.

The woodwork has rattled at the other end 14 minutes from the end when the ball broke to Jack Lynch in the box and his shot bounced off the top of the crossbar.

Dylan Barnett cleared the bar with a free kick for Bray as the final ten minutes approached with extra time seemingly imminent.

Waweru had other ideas, however, having just missed the ball with a spectacular overhead kick attempt from Christopher’s cross.

Shane Doherty tried to bundle the loose ball home but was denied at close quarters by Maher, but the striker was on hand to fire the rebound into the roof of the net.

Place had a chance to wrap up the win in injury time with a skilful run into the box but he miscued his shot but it wasn’t to matter as it proved the final action of the game.

Bray Wanderers: Brian Maher; John Ross Wilson, Aaron Barry, Kilian Cantwell, Dylan Barnett; Paul Keegan, Sean McEvoy, Callum Thompson; Derek Daly (Darragh Lynch 85), Ryan Graydon, Joe Doyle  (Gary Shaw 85).

Galway United: Micheál Schlingermann; Jack Lynch, Killian Brouder, Maurice Nugent, Marc Ludden; Stephen Christopher, Shane Duggan, Sam Warde; Shane Doherty, Timmy Molloy (Mikey Place 56), Enda Curran (Wilson Waweru 56).

Referee: Eoghan O’Shea