The FAI has confirmed that Derry City are unable to fulfil Wednesday evening's fixture against newly crowned champions Shamrock Rovers and the matter is being referred to the association's disciplinary committee.

The Brandywell club announced on Monday that this week's game would not go ahead after a player and backroom team member tested positive for coronavirus.

The Football Association of Ireland initially said it is "awaiting further information" before officially postponing the match but it has now released a statement saying the matter is to be referred to their disciplinary committee. 

While the committee will determine whether the league game is to be refixed or a forfeit is imposed, Derry's upcoming FAI Cup quarter-final against Sligo Rovers has been postponed and a new date will be set.

"Derry City Football Club have confirmed to the Football Association of Ireland that they are unable to fulfil Wednesday night's SSE Airtricity League Premier Division fixture at Shamrock Rovers due to positive Covid-19 test results from players and staff at the club," the statement read.

"The club have also informed the FAI that Northern Ireland's Public Health Agency has stood down their entire first team squad and staff for a 14-day period of self-isolation, until 6 November inclusive, following these positive tests.

"As a result of this confirmation from Derry City FC, the failure to fulfil Wednesday night’s fixture against Shamrock Rovers will now be referred to the FAI’s disciplinary committee in accordance with FAI rules and the Participation Agreement.

"Derry City’s FAI Cup quarter-final with Sligo Rovers, which was due to be played at the Showgrounds this Sunday, has been postponed. The FAI will look at potential new dates for this fixture in due course."

Rovers were due to lift the Premier Division trophy at Tallaght Stadium on Wednesday after they won the title without kicking a ball over the weekend.

Last week the governing body told League of Ireland clubs that no more matches would be postponed because of coronavirus cases.

Wednesday's game had initially been rescheduled from 16 October after a positive Covid-19 case was identified in Shamrock Rovers’ squad.