A chill was not the only thing in the air - regret reigned too from a neutral's corner that this season has so few games left - as Bohemians scored one of the most improbable wins in memory against a disbelieving, down-and-out Derry City.

James Akintunde put Derry ahead early on, giving them a lead they never really looked like surrendering, only for Keith Ward and Andre Wright to score in second-half injury time, the Englishman netting in the 96th minute.

This was an utterly incredible conclusion to proceedings, and desperate misfortune for Derry, but credit must be given to Bohs for continuing to try and also their management for the changes they made.

They stay in second place, while struggling Derry head home in shock and despair.

Derry, who seem infuriatingly inconsistent, looked sure to have beaten Bohs on both times they have met this season and were absolutely excellent here - until it all fell apart. 

The Candystripes took the lead with an absolute stunner on just four minutes. Bohs gave the ball away rather carelessly around the box's edge and, after Walter Figueira's perfect pass, Akintunde dinked the ball deliciously over James Talbot and in off the crossbar's underside. 

The impressive Figueira then crossed for Jake Dunwoody, who could not quite reach the ball as Bohs were reeling. Akintunde later found Adam Hamill but he made a mess of his effort as Derry continued to press.

Bohs gradually got into the game and Peter Cherrie had to bat away Dawson Devoy's free-kick on 18 minutes.

Devoy has established himself ahead of both Ward and Danny Mandroiu, who did not make the Bohs squad and seems sure to leave this club before the start of next season. He will not lack suitors.

Derry were then really careless in possession and Bohs won the ball back through Conor Levingston, who fed Andre Wright to shoot straight at Cherrie.

Devoy is a potential star and the Meathman, after neat footwork, dinked a shot over on 28 minutes, Cherrie rather fretting.

Akintunde epitomised the first-half: entertaining and relentless. He ran at the Bohs defence on half-time's approach but his left-footed curler went just wide.

Derry were comfortably the better side in the first half and nothing changed at the start of the second. Figueira fashioned a one-two with Akintunde and Anto Breslin had to clear the ball away near his own line.

Figueira was absolutely outstanding and continued to cause misery for the Bohs defenders as the second half developed, Derry full of zest.

Bohs had a decent spell around 15 minutes into the second half and Danny Grant's centre just evaded Wright, though there was no hint whatever of panic or discomfort in the Derry 11.

Keith Long introduced both Ross Tierney and Ward in a bid for change, but none was immediate after the introduction of either, Bohs struggling to get any energy from the intermittent audio of their fans cheering over the tannoy. 

Derry still looked more threatening with 15 minutes to go. From a teasing Hammill corner, Breslin lashed the ball off the line.

The excellent Conor McCormack was adjudged to have handled with five minutes left but Ward's curled effort failed to trouble Cherrie and Bohs would seemingly get what they deserved: nothing.

Not quite. Initially, the lively Devoy was hauled down by Dunwoody just inside the box, Ward converting. 

But that was not enough: from Breslin's free-kick, Wright somehow poked home from a goalmouth scramble. 

Live sport is so special because there is always the chance something ridiculous might happen. What a shame so few bore witness.

Bohemians: Talbot; Lyons, Casey, Cornwall, Breslin; Levingston (Tierney 52), Buckley (Corcoran 79); Omochere, Devoy, Grant (Ward 72); Wright.

Derry City: Derry City: Cherrie; McJannet, Toal, Cole (Horgan 79), Coll; Malone (Harkin 79), Dunwoody, McCormack, Hammill, Figueira; Akintunde (Miete 97).

Referee: Ben Connolly