Barry McNamee's first goal for Finn Harps salvaged a point from this SSE Airtricity League Premier Division clash at Tolka Park as Shelbourne were left fuming with the late sending-off of Luke Byrne.

The result leaves Ian Morris’ Shelbourne without a league win in six since beating Harps in Ballybofey early last month.

Finn Harps’ boss Ollie Horgan left Drumcondra happy enough as the draw edges his side a point ahead of bottom side Cork City, who visit Finn Park next weekend.

Unchanged from last week's narrow defeat at champions Dundalk, Shelbourne's enterprising start almost quarried the lead on five minutes from a route one attack.

Goalkeeper Colin McCabe’s clearance was flicked on by Ciaran Kilduff for the run of Ryan Brennan wide right.

And though the low cross picked out the unmarked Dayle Rooney in the area, the winger’s shot took a slight deflection off retreating defender Shane McEleney to then strike keeper Mark McGinley. 

The ensuing scramble saw Stephen Folan strike the ball out for a goal kick off Denzil Fernandes. 

In a high tempo opening, Shels stretched Harps again on the counter seven minutes later. 

McNamee’s free-kick was cleared to Fernandes who set off on a surging run before getting a return pass from Rooney to see his shot put out for a corner off Leo Donnellan.

Harps were a threat when they got forward with Austrian striker Alexander Kogler turning smartly to shoot off target just before the quarter hour.

But Shelbourne remained by far the dominant side with Harps having McGinley to thank for a fine save on 25 minutes after Fernandes worked a one-two with Brennan down the inside right channel to shoot.

A hesitant McGinley was there again to turn a Georgie Poynton cross out for a corner, though it led to Shels getting their deserved lead on 33 minutes.

Poynton’s delivery was whipped into the edge of the six yards area where Kilduff out-jumped the visitors’ defence to score with downward header for only his second league strike of the season.

With striker Raff Cretaro on for midfielder Ryan Connolly from the restart, Harps began the second half on the front foot, coming within inches of levelling inside three minutes.

Folan cracked a 30-yard free kick up and over the defensive wall to force McCabe to tip the ball onto his crossbar and out for a corner.

Horgan’s revitalised side were then deservedly level on 54 minutes. 

McCabe could only parry a stinging drive from distance by Mark Russell. Midfielder McNamee was alert to the loose ball to follow up and side foot home.

Shelbourne were left incensed by referee Sean Grant on 76 minutes when defender Byrne was shown a straight red card for what looked an innocuous nudge on Kogler just outside the area. They dug their heels in with ten men to take a point. 

Shelbourne: Colin McCabe; Georgie Poynton, Dan Byrne, Luke Byrne, Alex O’Hanlon; Gary Deegan, Sean Quinn (Oscar Brennan 74); Denzil Fernandes, Ryan Brennan (Karl Sheppard 62), Dayle Rooney (Mark Byrne 62); Ciaran Kilduff (Aaron Dobbs 74).

Finn Harps: Mark McGinley; Shane McEleney, Kosovar Sadiki (Sam todd 74), Stephen Folan; Dave Webster, Barry McNamee, Leo Donnellan (Gareth Harkin 58), Ryan Connolly (Raff Cretaro h-t), Karl O’Sullivan; Mark Russell (Tony McNamee 88), Alexander Kogler.

Referee: Sean Grant (Wexford).