Waterford manager John Sheridan ended his short reign with a victory as his side beat Bohemians 2-0 at Dalymount Park in what the club confirmed was his last game in charge.

The former Republic of Ireland international will return to his native Lancashire to take over at crisis-hit Wigan Athletic and leaves the Blues in third place in the table after taking charge just over two months ago.

First-half goals from Ali Coote and Tyreke Wilson saw the away side to victory, while John Martin, twice, and Wilson also hit the woodwork as the scoreline, if anything, flattered the home side.

The first quarter of the game belonged to the hosts, who controlled possession and easily found holes in the Blues' defensive structure.

Two chances in the opening 90 seconds gave warning of what was coming as Andre Wright nodded an Andy Lyons cross wide before Danny Mandroiu's daisy-cutter just missed the post.

Waterford were caught napping from a free-kick routine as Mandroiu went short to James Finnerty, and his looping shot was well-held by Brian Murphy.

Murphy was forced to save a miscued Robert Weir clearance and a well-struck free kick from Mandroiu as the home side piled on the pressure.

Danny Grant was denied the chance to break the deadlock on 20 minutes as he latched onto a glorious through-ball from Mandroiu and was harshly judged offside.

Waterford wouldn’t register their first shot of the game, courtesy of Coote, until the 21st minute but Coote’s wayward effort heralded a turning of the tide.

Moments later, Wilson showed great tenacity to drive infield and force Stephen McGuinness to save at full-stretch, Kurtis Byrne volleying the loose ball wide.

They’d take the lead inside a minute as Wilson teed up midfielder Coote to shoot from distance and his shot deflected off Dan Casey’s calf and skidded on the turf.

McGuinness should still have dealt with it comfortably but the ball squirmed through the goalkeeper’s hands and trickled into the net.

It was almost 2-0 shortly afterwards as John Martin’s shot cannoned back off the crossbar with McGuinness beaten.

Another defensive calamity led to goal number two as Casey was caught in possession by Michael O’Connor coming out of defence and clumsily bundled over the striker.

Wilson and Byrne stood over the free kick and the young former Manchester City full-back was the one who stepped up, curling the ball wonderfully over the wall and into the bottom corner.

Bohs continued to enjoy most of the possession in the second half but it was Waterford who looked the more likely to add to the score, Cootes and O’Connor shooting narrowly wide.

Martin hit the woodwork once more with a back-post header before Wilson saw his free kick crack the stump of the post moments later.

Grant and Finnerty would force saves from the former Dalymount favourite Murphy but the Blues saw the game out comfortably to move into third place.

Bohemians: Stephen McGuinness; Andy Lyons, James Finnerty, Dan Casey, Anto Breslin; Keith Buckley, JJ Lunney (Conor Levingston 50), Danny Mandroiu (Promise Omochere 77); Danny Grant (Keith Ward 77), Kris Twardek, Andre Wright (Glen McAuley 71).

Waterford: Brian Murphy; Oluwatunmise Sobowakle, Jake Davidson, Robbie McCourt, Tyreke Wilson; Alistair Coote, Robert Weir, John Martin (Niall O’Keeffe 83); Michael O’Connor (Dean Walsh 70), Matthew Smith, Kurtis Byrne.

Referee: Damien McGraith.