England manager Gareth Southgate has dropped Harry Maguire following his conviction in Greece, just hours after selecting and publicly backing the Manchester United captain.

The 27-year-old was the main talking point on Tuesday afternoon when the England boss named him in his squad, despite an ongoing court hearing on the Greek island of Syros.

Maguire was arrested along with two others, including brother Joe, in the early hours of Friday after an alleged incident in Mykonos, with the defender appearing at a hearing the following day in neighbouring Syros.

The world's most expensive defender was not at the subsequent court case on Tuesday, when he was found guilty of assaulting a police officer, swearing, resisting arrest and bribery by a Greek court.

The prosecution alleged Maguire had said to police: "Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United. I am very rich, I can give you money. I can pay you, please let us go."

Maguire's lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis told the court that the 27-year-old had been assaulted by police who kicked him in the leg and said: "Your career is over."

The verdict and 21-month suspended prison sentence came just four hours after the England international was called up by Southgate, who had phoned the centre-back to ascertain the facts.

But the conviction has led Southgate to pull the defender out of the squad for next month’s Nations League double-header against Iceland and Denmark.

"In light of this evening’s developments, I can confirm I have withdrawn Harry Maguire from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark," Southgate said in a statement.

"As I said earlier today, I reserved the right to review the situation.

"Having spoken to Manchester United and the player, I have made this decision in the best interests of all parties and with consideration of the impact on our preparations for next week."

While Maguire says he and his two co-defendants remain "strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter", Southgate’s decision to initially select him in these circumstances is sure to be pored over in the coming days and weeks.

Maguire meanwhile signalled his intent to appeal the verdict and said: "Following the hearing today, I have instructed my legal team with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing.

"I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter - if anything myself, family and friends are the victims."

The Football Association has yet to comment on the matter since a verdict was reached, but Manchester United released a statement.

The club said: "Manchester United notes the verdict of the Greek court today.

"Harry Maguire pleaded not guilty to all of the misdemeanour charges made against him and he continues to strongly assert his innocence.

"It should be noted that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their evidence late on the day before the trial, giving the defence team minimal time to digest them and prepare.

"A request for the case to be adjourned was subsequently denied.

"On this basis, along with the substantial body of evidence refuting the charges, Harry Maguire's legal team will now appeal the verdict, to allow a full and fair hearing at a later date."