Two quick-fire goals at the start of the second half saw Derry City come from behind to see off a spirited Cork City side. 

Trailing to Joseph Olowu's early strike, goals from Walter Figueira, Adam Hammill and James Akintunde sealed the deserved victory for Declan Devine’s side. 


Cork took the lead on three minutes when Kevin O'Connor’s high free-kick into the Derry six-yard box wasn’t dealt with by goalkeeper Peter Cherrie and the alert Olowu was on hand to turn home the loose ball. 

Minutes later Jack Malone went close to equalising but his low drive was kept out by a diving Mark McNulty. 

Derry were inches away from levelling things on 14 minutes when striker Ibrahim Meite showed neat skill and strength to get away from Alan Bennett, but his left -footed drive from just inside the box clipped the bottom of McNulty’s left-hand post. 

The Leesiders suffered an injury set-back just after the half-hour mark when goalscorer Olowu was replaced by Ronan Hurley.

Just before the break McNulty had to make a smart save getting down low to superbly tip away Figueira's curling 20-yard drive. 

Derry were gifted an equaliser on 50 minutes as McNulty dropped Ciaran Coll’s cross and Jack Malone’s cut-back found Figueira and his low drive, through a host of players ended up in the net. 

Incredibly the home side took the lead three minutes later as Meite, who scored on his debut last week at Shelbourne, showed great skill before seeing his close-range shot kept out by McNulty and the alert Hammill was on hand to turn home his first goal for the club. 

Just after the hour mark Cork striker Connor Simpson went close to equalising but his high looping header was saved at the second attempt by Cherrie. 

Derry hit the woodwork for a second time on 83 minutes as substitute Akintunde set-up fellow sub Stephen Mallon, but the left winger’s drive, which had McNulty beaten, rattled the crossbar. 

Cherrie had to make a stunning save on 84 minutes when he got down low to somehow keep out Simpson’s powerful downward header. 

In the closing stages O’Connor’s curling 20 yard free-kick, which had Cherrie scrambling, flashed just wide. 

Then right at the death Akintunde should have sealed the points, but his close-range drive was saved by McNulty. 

Deep into stoppage time Akintunde did wrap the game up when he made no mistake firing low into McNulty’s bottom right hand corner. 

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Colm Horgan, Eoin Toal, Darren Cole, Ciaran Coll; Conor McCormack, Jack Malone, Joe Thomson (Ciaron Harkin 82); Walter Figueira (Stephen Mallon 75), Ibrahim Meite (James Akintunde 66), Adam Hamill (Jake Dunwoody 66).

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Charlie Fleming, Alan Bennett, Rob Slevin (Gearoid Morrissey 60), Henry Ochieng (Dylan McGlade 85) Cian Coleman, Kevin O’Connor, Connor Simpson, Deshane Dalling, Joseph Olowu (Ronan Hurley 33), Scott Fenwick (Richard Dinanga 60). 

 Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).