Ricardo Dinanga's stunning strike in the 121st minute was enough to send Cork City into the next round of the Extra.ie FAI Cup following a hard-fought 1-0 win over a spirited Longford Town side at Turner's Cross. 

With the game seemingly destined for spot-kicks, the 18-year-old skillfully beat a number of the First Division side's defenders before drilling a superb effort into the far top left corner to send ten-man City - who earlier had Graham Cummins dismissed - into the draw for the last 16.  

Daire Doyle decided to make five alterations to his starting eleven that defeated Athlone Town 2-0 last time out and they started the game brightly here.Shortly after Aodh Dervin fired over the bar from just outside the penalty area, Aaron McNally glanced his header from a Shane Elworthy cross wide of the far post.

Neale Fenn also made five changes to his team that drew 0-0 with Waterford, with Liam Bossin, Dylan McGlade, Cian Bargary, and Ronan Hurley coming in for Mark McNulty, Rob Slevin, Uniss Kargbo and Cory Galvin. The fifth change saw Graham Cummins make his third debut for the club but this time at centre-back in place of fellow veteran Alan Bennett, who dropped to the bench.

The Premier Division side - currently joint bottom of that table with Finn Harps on four points after six matches - threatened themselves on nine minutes but defensive midfielder Henry Ochieng's powerful strike whistled inches wide of the bottom right corner.

The lively Cian Bargary created an opportunity for Cian Murphy moments before he went close to scoring himself but both efforts were denied low at his near post by Town goalkeeper Luke Dennison.

The visitors' approach was almost rewarded just past the half an hour mark. Ronan Hurley was pressed and caught in possession but after being released in the area by Dylan Grimes, striker Rob Manley's low drive was saved by the left boot of Bossin.

Cummins had a decent chance to score for the hosts before the break but the former centre-forward couldn’t react quick enough when a corner fell to him in front of goal, allowing the shot-stopper to gather. The two sides each had a penalty appeal waved away minutes after the resumption and it was Longford that responded to the decision the better. Aodh Dervin missed a great chance to finally break the deadlock but he failed to connect properly with substitute Callum Warfield’s incisive through pass when he only had the keeper to beat.

Aaron McCabe was also introduced from the bench and his directness caused the opposition’s defence problems with Bossin needing to tip over his thunderous shot. Cork was hanging on and they were dealt a huge on 78 when Graham Cummins was shown a straight red card for fouling Warfield as he looked to race clear on goal. 

Bossin was now even busier but he did well to deny Dean Zambra’s subsequent free before also saving from McCabe and McNally before the end of normal time.City almost snatched it in injury time but after good work from Dylan McGlade, Cian Coleman’s attempt from range was stopped by Dennison to send the game to extra time.

As is often the case, extra time was lacking in excitement but Cork did nearly fashion a winner in each half but Kevin O’Connor sent a half volley over in the first and McGlade did similar in the second.

And just looked like it was destined for penalties, Ricardo Dinanga produced a stunning finish to win it for City. The youngster showed composure beyond his years, he twisted and turned past several defenders in the box before arrowing the ball into the far top left corner of the net to seal City’s place in the next round.

Cork City: Liam Bossin; Joseph Olowu (Alan Bennett 110), Graham Cummins, Kevin O’Connor; Cian Bargary (Charlie Fleming 45), Henry Ochieng, Cian Coleman, Ronan Hurley (Ricardo Dinanga 76); Dylan McGlade, Daire O’Connor (Dale Holland 70); Cian Murphy (Rob Slevin 90).

Longford Town: Luke Dennison; Shane Elworthy (Niall Barnes 78), Joe Manley, Joe Gorman, Karl Chambers; Aodh Dervin, Matthew O’Brien; Dylan Grimes (Aaron McCabe 60), Sam Verdon (Dean Zambra 66), Aaron McNally; Rob Manley (Callum Warfield 66).

Referee: Ray Matthews.