Shamrock Rivers moved six points clear, after coming from behind to see off a battling Derry City, at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

After trailing to a Walter Figueira's first half effort, two goals in the space of four minutes from a Colm Horgan OG and Roberto Lopes, secured the win, however a remarkable save in the closing stages by Alan Mannus, sealed the points.

Declan Devine kept faith from the side which defeated St Patrick’s Athletic, while Stephen Bradley made one change with Daniel Lafferty replacing Neil Farrugia, as the leaders went into the game knowing a victory would move them six points clear of Dublin rivals Bohemians.

Ireland manager Stephen Kenny was in attendance, as he watched his two former clubs battle it out.


While the leaders were dominating things in the opening half-hour, they never tested City keeper Peter Cherrie and they fell a goal behind on 36 minutes.

City centre-back Eoin Toal came out from the back to feed Walter Figueira down the left and the Londoner's cross-cum-shot, caught out the despairing diving Mannus and clipped the post on it’s way into the net.

Stephen Bradley must have been annoyed that his side were trailing at the break as he made two changes at the break with Ireland international Graham Burke and Farrugia replacing Dylan Watts and Lafferty.

On 57 minutes another neat passing move by Rovers ended with Jack Byrne feeding Farrugia, but the ex-UCD man sliced his effort wide when well placed inside the box.

Lopes scored Rovers' winner

Farrugia had another opportunity on 74 minutes but after getting in behind Jack Malone inside the box, he let the ball get away from him and Cherrie gathered the loose ball.

Rovers deservedly levelled things four minutes later as Gaffney’s right wing cross found Dean Williams, his glancing header, which had Cherrie beaten, came back off the post and the unfortunate Colm Horgan diverted the rebound into his own net.

The Hoops should have taken the lead on 81 minutes as a neat passing move ended with Williams’ close range side footed effort somehow kept out by Cherrie, but Rovers did take the lead from the resulting corner.

Byrne’s quick thinking found Burke and his teasing cross into the six yard box wasn't cleared properly by the home side and Lopes was on hand to blast the ball home from close range.

Right at the death substitute Ciaron Harkin saw his glancing header tipped onto the bar by Mannus and Toal’s close range follow up header was somehow kept out by the former Northern Ireland international shot-stopper.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Colm Horgan, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Conor McCormack, Gerado Bruna (Ciaron Harkin 71), Joe Thomson (Adam Hammill 83); Jack Malone (Darren Cole 83), James Akintunde (Stephen Mallon 71), Walter Figueira.

Shamrock Rovers: Alan Mannus, Joey O’Brien (Rory Gaffney 63), Roberto Lopes, Lee Grace; Ronan Finn (Rhys Marshall 75), Dylan Watts (Graham Burke HT), Gary O’Neill, Aaron McEneff, Jack Byrne, Daniel Lafferty (Neil Farrugia HT); Aaron Greene (Dean Williams 66).

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).