Niall Quinn has remained coy on his future plans as his term as interim deputy CEO of the FAI nears its completion.

The former Republic of Ireland striker came in alongside interim CEO Gary Owens and independent chair Roy Barrett last January for what was supposed to be a six-month period.

That's been extended as the FAI works towards pushing through the changes agreed in the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that was drawn up as part of the rescue package to save the association last January.

They will look to do that at an EGM on 31 August, though it remains unclear what Quinn will do thereafter.

"I've been asked to stay on certainly until the EGM takes place because none of us might be here after that if things don’t work out," he said at Abbotstown ahead of an FAI meeting with the FAI Council on Friday that will address concerns Council members have about some of governance changes agreed in the MoU.

"I’m happy to do that. I have other interests as well which I’ve put on hold. I can’t answer further than that."

The governance changes include increasing in the number of independent directors from four to six, and a clause that FAI Council members who have served for 10 years should step down this year, though it now seems those members could stay on if they satisfy the requirements laid out in an electoral code.

Last year Quinn chaired a nine-person 'Football in Ireland Visionary Group', which included Barrett and Owens, that submitted an ambitious plan to the Governance Reform Group of the FAI in May 2019 laying put plans for a complete overhaul of Irish football.

However, he said the Visionary Group was "long gone" by the time he became involved with the FAI as his enthusiasm evaporated for the project.  

"That night [after an Irish Football Stakeholder Forum at the Mansion House where they presented their plan] I got in touch with everyone to say, 'that's it, this thing isn't for us’," Quinn said. 

"My enthusiasm I had for getting involved and making things work [faded]. I realised, 'this is a waste of time’. 

"Roy later became independent chairman, Gary gave me a call and I said, ‘that’s interesting’, and I was brought in. I realised straight away that this was an uncomfortable place to be in one way.

"It was in such a poor state. I remember having the conversation with Gary, ‘people aren’t going to trust us, people are going to knock us but let’s do the right thing’. That’s how it came about.

"The Visionary Group was long gone."