An emotional day for Derry City reached its conclusion on a note of which the late John Hume would have been proud, as Declan Devine's side gained an inspiring victory at Richmond Park.

Goals from new boy James Akintunde and off-season addition Conor McCormack decided matters, Derry full value for the three points, as Saints' poor record at home under Stephen O'Donnell worsened on a nice summer evening by the Camac.

Derry made a raft of changes and it paid off.

Saints, fresh from a fine point at Dundalk, started with three at the back but the headline addition was Georgie Kelly, on loan from the champions, coming straight in to replace Martin Rennie up top. Chris Forrester was dropped.

Derry were poor against Sligo on Friday, losing 2-0, and McCormack moved into the engine room from right-back, with Colm Horgan filling that spot.

Akintunde made his debut for the Candystripes and would play an impressive role. Stephen Mallon dropped to the bench.

The first shot came on six minutes. The ball broke to Robbie Benson, having scored against Dundalk on Friday, around 25 yards out.

He fashioned a trademark dummy before driving to Peter Cherrie's right but the Scot was alert to his drive and palmed away.

Derry responded and Gerardo Bruna forced a comfortable Brendan Clarke save.

Conor McCormack celebrates City's second goal

Jamie Lennon's hanging free-kick was headed wide by Rory Feely on 15 minutes as Patrick's pressed.

The game had become rather scrappy midway through the first half and Walter Figueira flashed a shot wide, Clarke scrambling but content.

City grew in confidence, Ciaran Coll driving straight at Clarke.

Derry took the lead on 50 minutes. Colm Horgan was put into space down the right, the former Galway United defender found Jack Malone and he squared for Akintunde, who slotted home with ease.

Half-time substitute Jay McLelland should have put Kelly in but overplayed his pass as Patrick's sought a hasty response.

Chris Forrester then replaced Dan Ward.

On 56 minutes Jordan Gibson nearly equalised with a cross or shot that, either way, had Cherrie scrambling and batting over the bar at the Shed End.

Derry would seemingly seal matters on 72 minutes. A terrible clearance from Luke McNally, who also made a mistake that helped Dundalk take the lead on Friday, fell to Figueira, who neatly placed the ball towards McCormack, whose finish was magnificent for a player who rarely scores.

Pat's showed a good attitude, but little in the way of guile to open up Derry's defence, as they chased the game in vain.

Rennie will wonder how he didn't head home from McLelland's cross at the death but his header lacked power and Cherrie saved. The Scot, yet to score for the Dubliners, will be even more dumbfounded as to how he struck the post moments later from a Cherrie spill with the goal gaping, though time was all but up by now.


St Patrick's Athletic: Clarke; Feely, McNally, Desmond; Titov (McLelland 46), Lennon (Burns 75), Benson, Ward (Forrester 52), Griffin (Markey 75); Gibson, Kelly (Rennie 63).

Derry City: Cherrie; Horgan, Coll, Gilchrist, Toal; Thomson, Bruna (Mallon 63), Malone (Clifford 89), McCormack, Akintunde (Harkin 85); Figueira.

Referee: Rob Hennessy.