Third-placed Leicester City's winless run since the restart of the Premier League season continued with defeat to Everton at Goodison Park.

Everton grabbed the lead in the 10th minute when 19-year-old Anthony Gordon did well on the left, pulling the ball back and into the path of Brazilian Richarlison who slotted home.

Carlo Ancelotti's side doubled their lead, in controversial circumstances, when Michael Keane and Wilfred Ndidi challenged for a header in the box and after a long VAR review, referee David Coote ruled the Leicester midfielder had handled the ball.

Gylfi Sigurdsson confidently converted from the spot and with his side 2-0 down at the break, Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers made a double change with James Maddison and Kelechi Iheanacho introduced.

The switch had a swift impact with the visitors pulling one back six minutes after the restart, when Jamie Vardy caused panic in the Everton box, Iheanacho sought the loose ball and Mason Holgate's clearance hit him and flew past Jordan Pickford.

England keeper Pickford then survived a scare when he fumbled a low cross from Marc Albrighton but Keane was alert to clear the ball off the line.

Leicester stayed on 55 points, one more than fourth-placed Chelsea who are playing West Ham United now


Everton took a firm grip on the game after just 10 minutes. Impressive teenager Gordon raced onto a header from Lucas Digne down the left and squared the ball for the onrushing Richarlison.

The Brazilian made no mistake with a fierce shot from six yards that flew past Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester almost found an instant reply when a Dennis Praet pass took an awkward deflection and worried Pickford but it rolled wide.

Everton doubled their lead with just 16 minutes gone when VAR awarded them a penalty.

Digne swung the ball into the box and it appeared to strike the arm of Ndidi as he got ahead of Keane.

There was a lengthy stoppage as replays were studied numerous times but the decision finally went in Everton's favour and Sigurdsson stroked home calmly from the spot.

Things might have got worse for Leicester but Caglar Soyuncu did well to get back and deny Dominic Calvert-Lewin and James Justin also broke up another attack following an Alex Iwobi charge.

It was not until towards the end of the opening half that Leicester began to look comfortable but Pickford reacted quickly to deny Jonny Evans from close range after a Youri Tielemans effort was blocked.

Digne forced Schmeichel into a save with a deflected shot early in the second half but Leicester got themselves back into the game moments later.

Substitute Iheanacho got lucky but was rewarded for his persistence as he chased a ball into the box and Holgate's attempted clearance struck him on the head and went in.

With Maddison also off the bench and pulling the strings, Leicester turned up the pressure.

They were inches away from an equaliser when Pickford mishandled a cross in the drizzle and it rebounded off Keane towards goal but the defender recovered to clear off the line.

Pickford then had another moment of alarm to let in Iheanacho but the Nigerian fired over before forcing a save with another chance and Ben Chilwell volleyed over.

Leicester continued to push but Everton resisted further damage.