The FAI says it will continue to discuss return to play options with League of Ireland clubs over the weekend.

Officials from all clubs were today due to be presented with a financial package, which would have outlined how they would be compensated for loss of income due to Covid-19 restrictions on crowds.

However, it's believed that the FAI is still waiting on details from the Department of Sport and FIFA, which is finalising a financial relief plan for all leagues, as to what level of funding is available. 

One chairman told RTÉ Sport that there was "not enough clarity from the FAI for us to make a decision" and that their club had cancelled a board meeting that was due to be held tonight.

The FAI statement read:" The Football Association of Ireland today held a productive meeting with the 19 SSE Airtricity League clubs to discuss the return to action for the League.

"Talks will continue over the weekend. The FAI will make no further comment until these talks are concluded."

Addressing the Dáil this evening on the subject of engagement with the sports sector, Sports minister Shane Ross said: "Discussions are underway but not yet concluded.

"The details will need to be worked on and we will liaise closely with the sector.

"Not all sports organization have been affected to the same extent.

"The most acutely affected are those with summer seasons and with a heavy reliance on gate receipts. A targeted and focused response is clearly appropriate in these circumstances."

We need your consent to load this SoundCloud contentWe use SoundCloud to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences