Dundalk made it three wins from three against Cork City at Oriel Park on a tetchy night at Oriel Park on Monday.

Goals from Michael Duffy, Patrick Hoban and Jordan Flores ensured a comfortable win for Vinny Perth's side but while it was no more than they deserved, things threatened to boil over as fans booed their side early in the second-half.

So often in recent years games between these two were title deciders but it was a sign of how much was expected of Neale Fenn’s men on the back of their 6-0 drubbing against Shamrock Rovers on Friday that they could be backed at odds of 25/1.

Despite Duffy volleying Dundalk in front on 16 minutes, however, Vinny Perth’s side looked devoid of ideas of how to break down a Rebels defence which was set up determined to avoid another pasting on their travels.

That led to frustration among the home support, who booed Daniel Cleary early in the second half resulting in the defender remonstrating with a number of fans.

The frustration was lifted shortly after when Hoban doubled his side’s lead from the spot before Flores rifled home a screamer to ensure a third successive victory at the start of the season for the reigning champions and a third successive defeat for their former fiercest of rivals.

The home side took the game to their opponents from the off with Daniel Kelly racing onto Hoban’s lay-off to round Liam Bossin but his touch was too heavy and the ball ran out of play.

While they would spend much of the early stages of the first half on the back foot, it was Cork who fashioned the first shot on seven minutes when Gearoid Morrissey - the sole survivor in the starting 11 from his side’s title double success in 2017 -  curled a left foot shot to the left and wide.

Hoban then had a couple of tame headers straight at Bossin either side of a low strike from Duffy that the goalkeeper had to save at the second attempt before the striker could pounce.

Then came the breakthrough on 16 minutes. A shot from Kelly struck Hoban on its way to goal and was going wide only for Ronan Hurley to prevent the ball from going out for what he presumed to be a corner.

The resulting throw from Sean Gannon was then returned to him by Kelly with his cross met brilliantly by Duffy on the back post who volleyed to the bottom right hand corner.

The Louth men lost their way somewhat after that but they did pass up a golden chance to double their advantage two minutes before the break when Cleary was picked out unmarked six yards out by Gannon’s cross only to somehow head over.

His centre half partner Sean Hoare was then denied by a fine stop from Bossin within six minutes of the restart when the keeper clawed away his header from Duffy’s cross.

The frustrations of the home support were vocalised when Cleary kicked the ball back to Rogers from half way on 55 minutes but things got a bit calmer when Dundalk were awarded a penalty after Kelly, who had been played in by Hoban, was fouled by Hurley.

Hoban stepped up to take the spot kick himself and made no mistake with a finish to the top left hand corner to make it 2-0 with what was his 50th league goal at Oriel Park.

The pair then tried to link up again on 66 minutes but when Hoban’s attempted pass broke down, Flores lit up Oriel Park with a stunning strike to the top left hand corner.

Kelly had a couple of chances to add to the lead after that but spurned them. Despite some moans and groans from fans who have been spoiled by success in recent seasons, it’s three wins from three for Dundalk.

That leaves them four points better off than in each of the last two title winning seasons ahead of the mouth watering trip to face Shamrock Rovers on Friday in Tallaght.

Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Sean Hoare, Darragh Leahy; Chris Shields, Jordan Flores (Greg Sloggett 68; Daniel Kelly, Cammy Smith (Will Patching 71), Michael Duffy (Lido Lotefa 87); Patrick Hoban.

Subs not used: Aaron McCarey, Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey.

Cork City: Liam Bossin; Kyros Stabana, Joseph Olowu, Joe Redmond, Ronan Hurley; Henry Ochieng, Gearoid Morrissey (Dale Holland 84), Alec Byrne; Daire O’Connor (Cory Galvin 71), Dylan McGlade, Beineón O'Brien-Whitmarsh (Cian Murphy 87)

Subs not used: Mark McNulty, Charlie Fleming, Rob Slevin, Reyon Dillon.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).