Bohemians kick-started their season with an away victory over Waterford FC on a night where the wet and windy conditions at the Regional Sports Centre limited the attacking capabilities of both sides.

The ambitious Gypsies had succumbed to a late loss at the hands of Shamrock Rovers in their opening fixture but a Sam Bone own goal and Danny Mandroiu penalty at the end of the first half saw them past the Blues, who couldn't build on their opening win following a winter of uncertainty.

Alan Reynolds kept faith in the eleven who downed St. Patrick's Athletic in Inchicore last Friday while the visitors made five changes from the Dublin Derby, with Mandroiu slotting in from the start and Stephen McGuinness starting between the sticks.

Usually an irrelevant formality, the toss dictated that Waterford would spend the first half on the back foot playing into a relentless breeze that prevented Barry Murphy - who was pummeling the ball the length of the pitch during his warm-up - from clearing the half-way line.

They survived a flurry of corners in the opening minutes before the goalkeeper pushed behind a curling Keith Ward effort after the wide-man cut in from the left wing.

The pair combined again minutes later, with Mandroiu's right footed shot bending into Murphy's arms, and the Blues responded midway through the half when Robbie McCourt fed Matthew Smith, with McGuinness getting down low to collect the ball at his near post.

The pressure at the other end of the pitch was building however, with Bone blocking Mandroiu's goal-bound shot following good work out wide by Twardek, and the game's opening goal arrived shortly afterwards when the winger accelerated beyond Tyreke Wilson and clipped a cross to the back post, where Bone could only nod into his own net.

Much of the second-half was played in driving wind and rain

Murphy pounced on the ball to deny Mandroiu from tapping in a second but the gifted attacker doubled the lead from the penalty spot having been felled inside the box deep into added time.

While the lashing rain eased off during the second half the whipping gales continued and created the occasional farcical scene, although it ensured the Blues would find it difficult to execute any incisive passes to carve open the Bohs' rearguard.

McAuley had two efforts to settle the tie blocked by the home side's youthful centre-half partnership and the Blues were growing increasingly frustrated by the officiating as the half progressed, with McGuinness untested as the match drew to a relatively uneventful close.

Waterford FC: Brian Murphy; Sam Bone, Andre Burley, Akinwale Odimayo, Tyreke Wilson (Longbottom, 58); Ali Coote (Cummins, 80), Scott Allardice (Griffin, 70), Kevin O'Connor, Robbie McCourt; Michael O’Connor (C), Matthew Smith.

Substitutes: Tadhg Ruyan (GK), William Longbottom, John Martin, Darragh Power, Will Fitzgerald, Graham Cummins, Shane Griffin.

Bohemian FC: Stephen McGuinness; Michael Barker, Rob Cornwall, Dan Casey, Anto Breslin; Kris Twardek, Keith Buckley (C), JJ Lunney, Keith Ward (Wright, 83); Danny Mandroiu; Glen McAuley (Grant, 73).

Substitutes: Jamie Cleary (GK), Ciaran Kelly, Danny Grant, Conor Levingston, Andre Wright, Ross Tierney, Dawson Devoy.