Brian Barry-Murphy's Rochdale were no match for Newcastle in their FA Cup third round replay encounter at St James' Park on Tuesday night, with Steve Bruce's side inflicting a 4-1 defeat on the League One outfit. 

Joelinton ended his 20-game wait for a second Newcastle goal on a night when controversial owner Mike Ashley was on Tyneside to see the man for whom he paid £40m in the summer score with an 82nd-minute strike.

Barry-Murphy's fellow Corkman  Eoghan O'Connell's own goal had set the Magpies on their way in the replay before Matty Longstaff and Miguel Almiron struck to make it 3-0 after just 26 minutes, with the returning Matt Ritchie providing the ammunition for the first two.

Brazilian Joelinton, whose last goal came at Tottenham on 25 August, added a fourth before Jordan Williams' late consolation strike as Newcastle - who have not reached the fifth round since 2006 - booked a home tie against third tier Oxford.

Newcastle, with Ritchie starting his first game since damaging an ankle in August, had to be patient as they sought a way through the massed defences of the League One side in a tame start to the game.

Indeed, it was the visitors who produced the first attempt on goal when midfielder Jimmy Keohane - a former Republic of Ireland Under-19 international - sent a fifth-minute effort from distance wide of the target.

Almiron might have done better when he missed the target from 20 yards after Christian Atsu had laid off Sean Longstaff's ball over the top at the other end five minutes later, and the Paraguay international saw his 15th-minute strike come back off a post.

The Magpies finally took the lead two minutes later when defender O'Connell turned Ritchie's cross past goalkeeper Robert Sanchez and into his own net.

It was 2-0 within three minutes when Matty Longstaff controlled another Ritchie cross expertly before firing past Sanchez, and Almiron effectively killed off the tie after Sanchez had delivered the ball straight to him inside the penalty area.

Aaron Wilbraham, whose equaliser had secured the replay, fired over on the turn on the half-hour as Dale enjoyed a measure of respite, but Joelinton and defender Florian Lejeune might have added to the home side's tally before the break.

Jimmy Ryan sent a dipping 49th-minute volley just over and Stephen Dooley and Callum Camps both went close as Rochdale started the second half well.

However, substitute keeper Jay Lynch had to save from Isaac Hayden as the Magpies pressed once again and with the game all but won, Bruce freshened things up when he handed a debut to 20-year-old Tom Allan before sending on Andy Carroll in place of Almiron.

Jolelinton's moment finally arrived with eight minutes remaining when Carroll and Allan combined to set him up from close range and he duly obliged, although the travelling fans had something to cheer as Williams pulled one back with a neat finish off a post as time ran down.

Tottenham booked a trip to Southampton after surviving a late scare in a 2-1 win over Middlesbrough.

Jose Mourinho's men looked set to cruise to victory after Giovani Lo Celso took advantage of an error by Boro keeper Tomas Mejias to put his side in front after just two minutes.

Erik Lamela slid home Spurs' second with just 15 minutes on the clock and it looked like being a long night for Jonathan Woodgate's side.

But Boro were vastly improved in the second half and gave Mourinho some nervy moments after George Saville reduced the deficit seven minutes from time.

Shrewsbury set up a fourth-round clash at home to Liverpool as Aaron Pierre's fine late goal earned them a 1-0 win over Bristol City.

The League One side secured a memorable meeting with the unbeaten Premier League leaders thanks to Pierre's low finish from outside the area in the 89th minute.

There were chances at both ends during a goalless first half, with City captain Josh Brownhill's early drive well saved by goalkeeper Joe Murphy.

Shrewsbury defender Pierre's long-range effort was just off target and home skipper Ollie Norburn's shot was deflected narrowly wide.

Nathan Baker went close with a header for the visitors before Famara Diedhiou lifted his shot over the bar when he was sent clear with Murphy to beat.

Shrewsbury striker Daniel Udoh forced a fine save from Daniel Bentley at the other end with a powerful effort from just outside the area.

Diedhiou fired wide for City early in the second half before home substitute Callum Lang's header was well kept out by Bentley.

With extra-time looming, Shrewsbury delivered the knockout blow in the 89th minute as Pierre picked out the bottom corner to allow his side to dream of an even bigger upset.

Coventry ran out comfortable 3-0 winners as they knocked Bristol Rovers out to set up a home tie at St Andrews with landlords Birmingham.

Coventry took an early lead when Callum O'Hare threaded a beautifully weighted ball through the Rovers defence, allowing Maxime Biamou to race through and slot past Jordi Van Stappershoef.

Jonson Clarke-Harris almost pulled Rovers level after 23 minutes when his powerful header rattled the Coventry bar.

But the second half saw Coventry make the most of their domination.

O'hare was provider yet again after 51 minutes when another through ball played a team-mate one-on-one with the goalkeeper. This time it was Josh Pask the recipient, who calmly finished past Van Stappershoef, doubling the home side's lead.

Coventry looked even better value for their lead moments later when Biamou scored his second.

A clever Sky Blues corner found Liam Walsh unmarked in the box, the midfielder drilling a ball across goal which was easily turned in by the lurking Biamou.

Championship side Reading beat League One outfit Blackpool 2-0 .

Goals from Lucas Boye and Jordan Obita either side of half-time at Bloomfield Road ensured Reading will entertain the victors of the encounter between Carlisle and Cardiff.

Just before the break Callum Guy drilled a low effort inches wide as Blackpool nearly took the lead.

Reading took advantage when Jay Spearing failed to clear Garath McCleary's cross and Boye stabbed home three minutes from half-time.

Blackpool almost had an immediate response when Armand Gnanduillet's header from Liam Feeney's corner glanced wide.

Michael Olise nearly added Reading's second after the restart but clipped the post, before Royals stopper Sam Walker saved Matty Virtue's close-range header.

Walker later clawed away Nathan Delfouneso's header, before Boye rattled the crossbar and Omar Richards struck the post shortly after.

Blackpool goalkeeper Mark Howard kept out Obita's 82nd-minute header, but the Reading man slotted home the rebound to ensure his side progressed to the next round.