Derry City moved into third position in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division following a 4-0 drubbing of a disappointing Cork City side.

Although for long periods in the first half there wasn't much between the sides, two quickfire goals before the break from Eoin Toal and Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe sealed the points for Declan Devine’s side.

Neale Fenn’s side continue to look like a side who really want the season to end quickly, as they looked a shadow of the 2017 title-winning team.


Cork went close after just four minutes as Daire O'Connor shot on the turn from just inside the box, but his effort was straight at Derry keeper Peter Cherrie.

Soon after, a Ciaron Harkin centre from the right wing picked out David Parkhouse, but the Derry striker headed wide when well placed inside the box.

Ryan was called into making a great save in the 19th minute and he did well to tip over Parkhouse’s fantastic long-range strike.

Derry did take the lead on 41 minutes in somewhat fortunate circumstances when Parkhouse’s long throw from the left was flicked on by Ally Gilchrist and fellow centre-back Eoin Toal turned the ball home via a deflection.

The home side doubled their lead just before the break as Conor McCormack gifted the ball straight to Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe, who played a neat one-two with Harkin, before calmly slotting the ball high into Ryan’s top left-hand corner.

Cork were inches away from pulling one back just after the hour mark as substitute Garry Buckley fired just wide.

Cork’s miserable night was summed up on 74 minutes as Colm Horgan deflected the ball into his own net, after Ryan had did well to keep out Ogedi-Uzokwe’s initial header.

With five minutes remaining, Karl Sheppard saw his long-range dipping effort, which had Cherrie beaten, clip the top of the crossbar.

Deep into stoppage time, Ogedi-Uzokwe added a fourth, when he made no mistake as he fired past Ryan after substitute Michael McCrudden’s clever flick had created the chance.

Derry City: Cherrie, Gillespie (Boyce 85), Toal, Gilchrist, Coll; Sloggett, McNamee (McCrudden 79), Malone (McCauley 59); Harkin, Parkhouse, Ogedi-Uzokwe.

Cork City: Ryan, Horgan, Morrissey, Stokes (Coustrain 53), McCormack (Buckley 53), O’Connor, Byrne, Sheppard, Griffin, McCarthy (Bennett 63), O’Brien.

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).