Sean Maguire struck the winner as Preston moved up to third in the Championship with a 1-0 win at Birmingham.

In a game of few chances, the forward's 23rd-minute effort ensured North End secured their first away league win since March.

Maguire tapped in the rebound after Paul Gallagher's low curling free-kick hit the inside of the post after beating a five-man defensive wall as well as goalkeeper Lee Camp.

Birmingham midfielder David Davis conceded the set-piece after upending Maguire following a surging run. It was the 25-year-old's second goal in as many games and third of the season.

Nahki Wells scored a double as QPR beat Millwall 2-1 at The Den to go fourth.

The on-loan Burnley man opened the scoring 56 minutes in and, after Shaun Hutchinson levelled in the 71st minute, Wells won it 60 seconds later.

Leeds' Achilles heel hurt them once more as the league leaders were held 1-1 at home by Derby.

Marcelo Bielsa's men were as dominant as ever at Elland Road, creating chance after chance while bossing possession, but only having Max Lowe's 20th-minute own goal to show for their efforts.

Mateusz Klich missed a second-half penalty to further hinder the Whites, and Chris Martin made them pay in injury time with Derby's first meaningful shot.

Swansea missed the chance to return to the top of the table after they had defender Jake Bidwell sent off in the closing minutes of a goalless draw at Bristol City.

Referee Tony Harrington consulted an assistant before showing a red card to the full-back for a late challenge that prevented Bristol substitute Niclas Eliasson from breaking away on the right.

Stoke moved off the bottom of the table with their second point of the season in a goalless draw at Brentford.

The Potters might have taken all three points late on when Peter Etebo pounced on some sloppy Bees defending to go one on one with goalkeeper David Raya, only to have the ball whipped off his foot at the death.

Chey Dunkley grabbed a brace as Wigan beat Charlton 2-0, while Garry Monk remains unbeaten as Sheffield Wednesday manager, Atdhe Nuhiu levelling in injury time after Tom Cairney opened the scoring for Fulham in a 1-1 draw in South Yorkshire.

Adam Armstrong and Bradley Dack scored for Blackburn as they won 2-1 at Reading, with Rovers shutting down the comeback that John Swift's 57th-minute goal threatened to trigger.

Ben Watson's strike on the counter attack helped Nottingham Forest beat Barnsley 1-0, while Kevin Stewart's first goal since May 2015 helped Hull win 3-0 at Luton, with Kamil Grosicki adding a late second and Dan Potts scoring an injury-time own goal.