A wonderful Tom Holland finish six minutes from time earned Waterford FC a 2-1 victory over Bohemians at Dalymount Park in front of the RTÉ cameras.

The midfielder netted his first goal for the Munster club to seal an unlikely victory in a game the home side dominated for over an hour.

Rory Feely headed the visitors in front after 12 minutes and Walter Figueira hit the post before Ross Tierney hit a deserved leveller just before the hour.

There was late controversy as goalkeeper James Talbot's header appeared to be handled in the box by Waterford defender Kevin Lynch, but referee Neil Doyle called a halt to proceedings.

A Bohs side depleted by injuries started strongly and should have led when Matthew Connor palmed Andre Wright’s effort to the feet of Luke Wade-Slater, but the winger could only hit the bar.

It was a scare Waterford took seriously and they took the lead three minutes later when Feely met Georgie Poynton’s corner with a bullet header that rebounded in off the luckless Wade-Slater.

Bohs had chances to hit back before the break as Scott Allardice, twice, and Wright forced saves from Connor, but it was the visitors who came closest to adding to the scoreline.

Allardice lost the ball on the edge of his own area and the ball broke to Figueira, with the Englishman desperately unlucky to see his shot cannon back off the post.

Ryan Graydon passed up a great chance to level as the half drew to a close when played in by Wright, but his low shot was well-saved by Connor in the Blues goal.

The away side’s resistance couldn’t last forever, but it was a fortuitous touch from Tierney from Danny Grant’s cross, the winger only on the pitch a matter of moments, that pulled them level.

It was all Bohs from then on but they lacked the creative edge to punish Waterford and the visitors snatched all three points six minutes from time.

Michael O’Connor looked to have nowhere to go when pinned to the touchline by Derek Pender, but he found Holland with a backheel and the midfielder curled a beautiful shot in off the bar.

The drama wasn’t finished as, with the last touch of the game and goalkeeper James Talbot up for a corner, Kevin Lynch appeared to handle in the box but referee Neil Doyle was unmoved.

Bohemians: Talbot; Pender, Cornwall, Finnerty, Lyons; Allardice, Tierney, Devoy; Graydon (Swan 84), Wade-Slater (Grant 57), Wright

Waterford: Connor; Feely, Browne (Duggan 46), Kouogun, Lynch; Bone, Poynton, Holland; Elbouzedi (Galvin 72), Fitzgerald (O’Connor 60), Figeuira

Referee: Neil Doyle